Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Lewis B. Morgan, lawyer and chairman of the county court, was born in Lincoln County, Tennessee, in 1834. He is the son of Smith and Abigail (Alexander) Morgan, natives of Tennessee. The former was born in 1806, and the latter in 1809. They are now residents of Fayetteville, Tennessee, and are members of the Baptist Church.
Until his seventeenth year our subject lived with his parents on the farm, and then learned the blacksmithing trade, following that, together with farming for a number of years. In 1856 he went to Kansas with a company of 365 men, joining them at Montgomery, Alabama, for the purpose of pre-empting lands, and while there joined the pro-slavery party, and took up arms against John Brown and his supporters. In the fall of 1856 he returned to Fayetteville, and worked at his trade until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in Company F., of the Fourth Tennessee Regulars, Infantry, commanded by Baxter Smith. He was afterward transferred to Company I, Fourth Tennessee Infantry. He served throughout the war, the latter part of which he was a member of Jefferson Davis’ escort. At the close of the war he returned to Fayetteville, and for two years engaged in raising cotton. At the end of this time he came to Tullahoma and engaged in farming until 1880, when he opened a blacksmith shop and for four years worked at his old trade. He was licensed to practice law in 1879, by Judges Williams and Quarles, and in January 1886, was elected chairman of the Coffee County Court, followed by re-election in January 1887. In politics he is a democrat.
Mr. Morgan was married in 1861, to Hannah, daughter of Dr. Thomas and Hannah B. (Moore) Anderson, of Coffee County, Tennessee, and born in 1838. They have had born to them the following children: Cassandria V., born April 28, 1862; Calladonia D. (deceased), born April 28, 1866; Percy A., born December 30, 1868; Lewis B., August 12, 1872; Barclay in 1874; Frank A., in 1879, and Grace M., born in 1882. Mrs. Morgan is a member of the Old School Presbyterian Church.