D. W. Dinges, a notary public, and a leading business man of Alexandria, was born in 1836, in Warren County, Va., the youngest of five children of Wm. M. and Clara P. E. (Lincoln) Dinges, both natives of Virginia. The father was born about 1810, of Scotch- Dutch decent, a son of Mortica Dinges. He was a blacksmith, and spent his entire life in his native State, where he died in 1837. His wife was born about 1814, and is living in White County. She moved to Tennessee soon after her husband’s death. She has been three times married; is a consistent member of the Christian Church.
Our subject received rather limited educational advantages at Sparta. He taught school about three years. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, Sixteenth Tennessee Infantry, serving principally in Tennessee, West Virginia and South Carolina. In 1862 he took part in the battle of Perryville, and was captured near Barbersville, Ky.; in a few hours was paroled, returned home and about three months later joined the Eighth Tennessee Cavalry under Gen. Dibrell. He participated in the battle at Sparta, was again captured and paroled, and returned home after serving his country gallantly, for three and a half years. In 1865 he moved to Alexandria and began merchandising, in partnership with W. H. Lincoln, the firm being known as Dinges & Lincoln. They did a flourishing business. In 1872 he purchased Mr. Lincoln’s interest, and in 1881 R. B. Floy became a partner. They discontinued their business about three years later. In 1885 he established the firm of D. W. Dinges & Co., which has an extensive trade. It is one of the best general merchandise houses in this place, carrying a stock valued at about $5,000. During his commercial career he sold as high as $40,000 worth of goods in a year. In 1883 he erected the first livery stable in the town; it is large, well stocked and prosperous. He began life with little or no capital, but by industry and good management has accumulated a considerable amount of this world’s goods, being one of the wealthiest citizens of the county. He owns 450 acres besides other valuable property. He is a firm Democrat, casting his first presidential vote for John C. Breckinridge. In 1884 he represented the Fourth District, in the Democratic Convention at Chicago. He is one of the directors of the Bon-Air Coal, Lumber & Land Company; was formerly a member of the I. O. O. F. and is a strong advocate of general education.
March 1873, he married Miss Norah, daughter of John and Bettie Crutchfield, formerly of Wilson County. Mrs. Dinges is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.