Surname: Charles

1918 Warren County Farmers’ Directory – C Surnames

Abbreviations Used in this Directory a–Acres; Ch — Children; O–Owner; T–Tenant or Renter; R –Rural Route; Sec-Section; Maiden name of wife follows directory name in parentheses (); figures at end of information–year became resident of county. Star (*) indicates children not at home. Name of farm follows names of children in quotations marks. In case of a tenant, the farm owner’s name follows the figures giving size of farm. Example: ABBEY, William L. (Lena Riggs) Martha and Cora Abbey, Mother and Sister; Kirkwood R1 Tompking Sec8-5 T80a H.M. Abbey Est. (1886) Tel. Farmers’ Line Kirkwood MEANS ABBEY, William L. – Name (Lena Riggs) – Wife’s maiden name. Martha and Cora Abbey – Mother and Sister Kirkwood R1 – Postoffice Kirkwood, R.F.D. 1. Tompking Sec8-5 – Township Tompking, Sections 8-5. T80a – Tenant on 80 acres. H.M. Abbey Est. – Owner of 80 acres. (1886) – Lived in county since 1886. Tel. Farmers’ Line Kirkwood – Farmers’ Line Telephone Kirkwood. C Surnames CABLE BROS., Arthur L. Benn D., Monmouth R6 Floyd Sec18-30 O160a (1860) Mutual Tel. Monmouth CABLE, Charles H. (Phebe Jane Baldwin) Ch *Florence M., *Newton B.; Monmouth R6 Floyd Sec29 O60a (1860) Mutual Tel. Berwick CABLE, Frank E. (Irene Sheldon) Ch Ruth, *H Sheldon; Berwick R1 Berwick Sec8-17 O400a (1862) Private Tel. Berwick CABLE, Hiram Sheldon (Eunice Ralston)Ch Martha; Berwick R1 Berwick Sec8 T76a Mrs. Irene Cable (1893)...

Read More

Biography of Benjamin H. Charles

Benjamin H. Charles, who enjoys the reputation of being one of the leading municipal bond lawyers in the United States and who in the practice of his profession is accorded an extensive clientage in St. Louis, where he makes his home, was born at Chester, Illinois, April 26, 1866, his parents being Benjamin H. and Achsah Susan (Holmes) Charles. The father was a Presbyterian minister of note who led a very active life. He was a man of positive character and high ideals and at different periods acceptably served as pastor of churches in Kentucky, Illinois and Missouri. He was graduated from Centre College at Danville, Kentucky, in 1853 and among his classmates were the late Senator Vest, Judge Phillips and Governor Crittenden of Missouri. Dr. Charles became prominent in connection with educational interests, especially in girls’ schools and was president of the Synodical College at Fulton, Missouri, from 1877 until 1888 inclusive, this being an excellent girls’ college. His last pastorate was in Trinity church at St. Louis. His wife was a daughter of the late Joseph B. Holmes, one of the early day river millers who owned two large mills at and near Chester, Illinois, the flour which he manufactured being largely for the export trade, most of it being sent to Liverpool, England. In the maternal line Mrs. Benjamin H. Charles, Senior, was a granddaughter of...

Read More

Biography of U. G. Charles

U. G. Charles. One of the oldest of the refining and civilizing agencies of man is architecture, the art which constructs for beauty or utility or combines both. While it has necessarily been regulated by natural conditions and configuration of the country in which it is exercised, the development of a modern palace, either for residence or business, step by step from the ancestral cave or tent, is one of the great and interesting romances of civilization. Of the masters of this art who have contributed much to the past of Wichita, and who, because of their superior equipment and talents, may be counted upon to share in the development of the future of the city, more than passing mention is due U. G. Charles, than whom there is to be found no more talented man in the profession in the state. The Mentholatum Building was the first complete reinforced concrete building to be erected in Wichita, and is now known as The Home of Mentholatum. The style of architecture is the Spanish Mission style. This building contains a steam heating plant and also a cooling device for hot weather, the interior being designed especially for the compounding of Mentholatum, and all business connected therewith. It was constructed in 1908, and has stood as an excellent monument for reinforced concrete work. It is only one of many such structures...

Read More

Search

Free Genealogy Archives


It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest