Select Page

Collection: History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire 1850

1850 Gazetteer of Blackauton England

BLACKAUTON, a straggling village of indifferently built houses, on high ground, 5 miles W. of Dartmouth, has in its parish 1449 souls, and 5589 acres of land, including many scattered houses, and the village and chapelry of STREET, on the coast of Start Bay, more than 4 miles S.S.E. of the church, and S.W. of Dartmouth. Here are also small hamlets or assemblages of houses, called Bow, Dryton, East Down, Borlestone, Millcombe, and Woodford. A large fishing village, called Undercliff, near Street, is said to have been destroyed by the encroachments of the sea, many years ago. H. L. Toll, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish, and the rest belongs to W. Dimes, Esq., J. Netherton, Esq., C.Barter, Esq., Mrs. Hayne, and many small freeholders. The barton of Cotterbury has an independent royalty, and was purchased in 1806, by L. Newman, Esq., of Dartmouth. Fuge, now a farm house, was built in 1725, by the late C. Hayne, Esq. Oldstone, the seat of W. Dimes, Esq., is a large mansion, which was for more than wo centuries the seat of the Colwich family. The Parish Church (St. Michael,) is a large antique structure, with a tower and six bells. It is in the early perpendicular style, but most of the windows are modern insertions, and the chancel walls have recently...

Read More

1850 Gazetteer of Brixton England

BRIXTON, a pleasant village, 4½ miles E. of Plymouth, has in its parish 822 souls, and 2865 acres of fertile land, bounded on the south-east by the Yealm estuary, and including the small hamlets of Spriddleston, Hareston, Winston, and Coombe. The manor of Brixton, anciently called Briticheston, was long held by a family of its own name, but after passing to various other families, it was dismembered many years ago. T. W. Parrott, Esq., is lord of the manor of Hareston, which he derived from the Winters. This manor was successively held by the Reynald, Hareston, Silverlock, and Wood families; the latter of whom resided for many generations in the old mansion, which was built in the reign of Henry VII., and was partly destroyed by fire in the last century. The remains of this ancient building are still preserved. Mr. Elliott is lord of the manor of Spriddleston, which has been held succesively by the Spriddle, Fortescue, Lane, and other families. E. R. P. Bastard and Sir T. T. F. E. Drake own a great part of the parish, the former having Wollaton, and the latter the Sherford estate. The Church has a lofty tower and five bells, and is an ancient structure in the decorated style. It was appropriated to Plympton Priory. The perpetual curacy, valued at £107, is in the patronage of the Dean and Canons...

Read More

Search


It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest