ALVINGTON, (WEST) or West Allington, is a small scattered village, 1½ mile S.W. of Kingsbridge, but its parish extends four miles southward, and includes 998 souls, 4020 acres of land, part of Malborough village, and the hamlets of Woolston, Easton, Sorley, and Bawcombe, on the western side of the estuary and creeks, extending from the English Channel to Kingsbridge. The manors and owners are, Woolston and Oldaway, Duke of Cleveland; West Alvington, W. R. Ilbert, Esq.; and Woodhouse, Mr. J. Hingston; but a great part of this parish is freehold, belonging to the Bastard, Luscombe, Walker, and other families. Combe Royal, one mile N. of Kingsbridge, is the large and elegant seat of John Luscombe, Esq., whose family purchased it in 1736 of the Gilberts, who had long been seated there. Gerston, now occupied by a farmer, is the property, and was, till recently, the seat of the Bastards, of Kitley. Bowring’s-leigh, a large and ancient Tudor mansion, now a farm-house, was long a seat of the Bowrings, and afterwards of the Ilberts. It still belongs to the latter, and retains some beautiful ceilings, &c., but its chapel was burnt down a few years ago. The fragments of an urn were found in 1818, in a tumulus at Sorley. John de Besill, then lord of the manor of West Alvington, had a grant for a market and fair, in...Read More
Collection: History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire 1850
AVETON GIFFORD is a neat village, pleasantly situated in the picturesque valley of the river Aven, 3½ miles N.W. of Kingsbridge, and S.E. of Modbury. Its parish contains 1057 souls, and 3952A. 2R. 39P. of fertile land, including the small hamlets of Ashford, Lixton, Waterhead, and many scattered houses. The river is crossed by a good bridge, and is navigable for barges, and has a salmon fishery belonging to Mr. Bastard and Mr. Lowe. The manor was anciently held by the Giffards or Giffords, and afterwards passed to the Dynham, Prous, Mules, Damarell, and Berry families. It now belongs to E. R. P. Bastard, Esq. : but here is a small manor called Heathfield, belonging to P. Hyne, Esq., and the Barton estate belongs to J. M. Woollcombe, Esq. Part of this parish belongs to several smaller owners. A market and two fairs were granted to the lord of the manor in 1289, but they have been obsolete some centuries. The Church (St. Andrew,) is a large cruciform structure, in the early English style of the time of Henry III. Its tower contains six bells, and is crowned by a lofty circular turret. It is one of the finest and oldest churches in South Devon, and the interior would have a very handsome appearance if the mouldings, columns, capitals, &c., were cleansed of their many coats of whitewash. The...Read More
CHIVELSTONE, a small village, nearly 6 miles S.S.E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 591 souls, and 2696 acres of land, extending southward to the romantic sea cliffs between Start and Prawle Points, near Start Bay and the mouth of Kingsbridge or Salcombe haven; and including the fishing village of Prawle, and the hamlets of Ford and South Allington. Prawle has about 312 inhabitants, and a coastguard station; and below the cliffs is a tract of fertile land. Thos.Newman, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the parish is freehold, belonging to N. Pitts, Esq., and several smaller owners. Mr.Pitts has a handsome mansion at South Allington. The Church (St. Sylvester) is an ancient fabric, with a tower and five bells, but only one usable. It was repaired about 30 years ago, when new windows were inserted. The old rood loft remains, and the pulpit is formed out of a solid block of wood. The living is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with Stokenham vicarage, there being neither parsonage nor glebe here. The tithes were commuted in 1842, the vicarial for £164.10s., and the rectorial for £137. Here is a small Bible Christian Chapel, and at Ford is an Independent Chapel,which was built in 1750, and enlarged in 1818, and is now under the ministry of the Rev. Wm. Miles of...Read More
ASHPRINGTON, or Ashpreignton, is a small neat village, picturesquely seated on a gentle slope, near the confluence of the river Harbourn with the estaury of the Dart, 2½ miles S.E. of Totnes. Its parish contains 588 souls, and 2644 acres of fertile land, including the hamlets of Washbourn and Yeatson and part of Tuckenhay, where there is a large paper mill, a corn mill, and quarries of hard stone, of which great quantities are exported in vessels of 160 tons, to London, &c., for Macadamizing roads. Richard Durant, Esq., owns a great part of the parish, and is lord of the manor of Sharpham, where he has a large and handsome freestone mansion with extensive and well-wooded grounds, descending to the western bank of the river Dart, amidst some of the most beautiful scenery of the valley. He has lately much improved the village by erecting a new inn, and rebuilding many of the cottages. This manor has been held successively by the Winard, French, Prideaux, Drewe, Giles, Yarde, Cockey, Pownall, and Bastard families. Painsford, an ancient mansion, on the banks of the river Harbourn, is the seat and property of Mr. Philip Mitchelmore, and has been successively held by the Piperell, Halwill, Somaster, Kellond, Courtenay, and other families. It was formerly much larger than at present and its dilapidated chapel, though disused since the middle of last century,...Read More
BUCKLAND-TOUTSAINTS, or Buckland All Saints, is a small parochial chapelry, appended ecclesiastically to Loddiswell parish, though it is in Coleridge Hundred, and maintains its poor and roads as a distinct township. It is about two miles N.E. of Kingsbridge, and contains only 56 inhabitants, and about 500 acres of fertile land, belonging to Wm. John Clark, Esq., of Buckland House, and Edward Torr, Esq., of Bearscombe, or Woodmaston. The first named mansion is a large and handsome building, with tasteful grounds, on an eminence commanding fine views. Mr. Torr, sen., is in his 97th year, and in the enjoyment of all his faculties. The only tenant farmer is Mr. Josias Whyat, of the Quarry Farm. The manor belonged to the Toutsaint family in the reign of Richard I., and afterwards passed to the Hills and Southcotes, the latter of whom, after having been seated here for several generations, sold the manor in 1793 to the late Wm. Clark, Esq. of Plymouth. The Chapel (St Peter,) was very ancient, but was mostly rebuilt in 1779, by John Henry Southcote, Esq. It was appropriated with Loddiswell to Slapton College, and in the 15th century, and is now a curacy annexed to Loddiswell vicarage, and in the same impropriation. The tithes have been commuted for £51. 10s. 6d. per...Read More
CHARLETON, a small village in two portions, on the east side of the estuary, 2 miles S.S.E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 703 inhabitants, and 2379A. 3R. 35P. of land, including the hamlets of Goveton and Lidestone, and part of Frogmore village, which is partly in Sherford and South Pool parishes. Lord Asburton is lord of the manor of Charleton, and that of Frogmore is claimed by Lady Sandys, but is in dispute. Part of the parish belongs to other freeholders, among whom are W. J. Clarke, W. R. Ilbert, and F. Wells, Esqrs., and John and Henry Grills. Slade, a new and handsome residence in the northern part of this parish, is the seat of Capt. Fortescue Wells, whose grandfather married the heiress of the Fortescues, of Fallapit, where his eldest son took their name. The Church (St. Mary) ia an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. It was thoroughly renovated in 1849-50, at the cost of about £1000, when the nave and aisles were mostly rebuilt, and new windows were inserted with mullions of Caen stone. The old screen, rood loft, sedilia, and piscina, remain, and all the new parts are in unison with the old. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £31. 8s. 4d., and in 1831 at £525, is in the patronage of Lord Ashburton, and in the incumbency of the Rev....Read More
PORTLEMOUTH, (EAST) a small village, five miles S. of Kingsbridge, is picturesquely seated on an eminence on the east side of Salcombe haven, near its confluence with the sea. Its parish contains 429 souls, and 1973 acres of land, including Rickham and Holset hamlets, and bounded on the south by the lofty cliffs, extending to Prawle Point. An entrenchment on the hill is supposed to have been used in assaulting Salcombe Castle, on the opposite side of the estuary. The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor of Portlemouth, but that of West Prawle belongs to Blundell’s School at Tiverton. Mr. R. Hurrell, Miss Burnell, and a few smaller owners, have estates here. At Rickham is a coast guard station. Portlemouth commands an extensive view of the English Channel, as well as of the estuary and its creeks, as high as Kingsbridge. The Church (St Onolaus,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells, two of which are cracked. It is in the perpendicular style, and has a richly carved wooden screen. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £29. 8s. 4d., and in 1831 at £360, is in the joint patronage of the Duke of Cleveland and Lady Sandwich, and in the incumency of the Rev. T. B. Wells, M.A., who has 30A of glebe, and a good residence with tasteful grounds. The tithes were commuted...Read More
ERMINGTON, which gives name to this Hundred, is a small village upon a bold eminence on the west side of the river Erme, encompassed by high hills, 10 miles E. of Plymouth, and 2 miles N.W. of Modbury. Its parish contains 1607 souls, and 4952 acres of land, including many scattered farm-houses, &c., and a large portion of the village of Ivybridge, noticed below. In 1623, a meteoric stone, weighing 23lbs., fell with a great noise from the atmosphere, at Strachleigh, in this parish, and buried itself a yard deep in the ground. A similar stone fell from the heavens in Yorkshire in 1795, and was exhibited in London. Fragments of this stone and of one which had fallen in India, were analysed, and they proved to be of the same peculiar ingredients, containing iron, nickel, &c. Lady Elizabeth Bulteel is lady of the manor and hundred of Ermington, which was anciently a demesne of the Crown, and afterwards held by the Peverell, Fitzstephen, Bensted, Stoner, Rouse, and other families. The manor of Ivybridge belongs to Sir F. L. Rogers, Bart., and held by the De Ponte Hederae, or Ivybridge family, from whom it passed to the Bonvilles and Crokers. E. R. P. Bastard, Esq., T. Bulteel, Esq., the Rev. S. W. Pearse, W. Pode, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. Strachleigh, an old farm-house,...Read More
BUCKFASTLEIGH is a large manufacturing village, in two parts, called Higher and Lower Towns, pleasantly seated on the western side of the fertile valley of the river Dart, 2½ miles S. W. by S. of Ashburton. It has about 300 woolcombers, several corn mills, and four blanket and serge mills; but only two of the latter are at present occupied, and give employment to about 400 hands. Its parish had 1525 inhabitants in 1801, 2445 in 1831, and 2576 in 1841; and comprises 4379A. 3R. 35P. of cultivated land, and 1072½ acres of open moorland, on the eastern side of Dartmoor Forest, whence two rivulets flow to the Dart, irrigating the meadows in their courses, affording the combers ample means for washing their wool, and uniting their streams near the village, which had formerly a weekly market on Tuesdays, granted to the abbot in 1352; and still has two fairs for cattle and wool, on the third Thursday in June and the second Thursday in September. The parish rises in bold hills from the village, and has quarries of limestone and a sort of black marble. It comprises the hamlets of Buckfast, Scorraton and Runnaford Coombe; several neat mansions, commanding beautiful views; and a number of scattered farm-houses. Great quantities of cider are made here, and in one year, an orchard of one acre produced 4000...Read More
BUCKFAST ABBEY, in the Dart valley, about a mile north of Buckfastleigh, was founded by Ethelwerd, son of Wm. de Pomeroy, in 1137, for monks of the Cistercian order, and was richly endowed by him and subsequent benefactors. Its clear yearly income was valued at the dissolution at no less than £466. 11s. 2¾d. The site of the abbey was granted to Sir Thomas Dennis, and the manor of Buckfast was afterwards held by the Bakers and Doyleys, but was sold in parcels many years ago. The abbey ruins were extensive, but they were mostly taken down about 1806, except a large square tower, and a Norman arch, finely mantled with ivy. The Abbey House, built over the abbey vaults, is a modern mansion, in the castellated Tudor style. At the Grange, is the ancient tithe barn, 108 feet long; and some of the neighbouring houses appear to have been partly built with stones from the abbey ruins. The Earl of Macclesfield is lord of the manor of Brooke Mainbow, with Buckfastleigh and Button, and owns a great part of the parish. The rest is chiefly freehold, and belongs to J. J. and Charles Edwards, Esqrs., R. J. King, Esq., and the Savery, Barnes, Gower, Tucker, Furneaux, Michelmore, Hamlyn, Symons, and other families. About thirty acres are let in allotments to the poor. The manor of Kilbenland is dismembered,...Read More
DARTINGTON parish, from one to three miles N.E. of Totnes, contains 603 souls, and 3284A. 3R. of land, on the south-western side of the fertile and picturesque valley of the Dart, and includes the small hamlets of Wick, Venton, Brooking, Staple, and many scattered houses. It was anciently the seat of a baronry, which belonged successively to the Falesia, Tours, Martyn, Audley, Vere, Holland, and other families. Henry Champernowne, Esq., owns two-thirds of the parish, and is lord of the manor. His seat, Dartington House, has been the residence of his family for many generations, and was an extensive building, consisting of two large quadrangles, one of which is in ruins, and the other was altered and partly rebuilt in the reign of Elizabeth, and has several handsome appartments and pointed windows. The great hall has a finely groined ceiling, embellished with the arms of Richard II. and the Duke of Exeter. The grounds are extensive, and descend to the margin of the Dart. The Duke of Somerset, J. D. Moysey, R. and W. Soper, Mrs. Farwell, and a few smaller freeholders, have estates in the parish. Venton, now the property and residence of Mr. Moysey, is a large ancient house, which was formerly more extensive , and was long the seat of the Ventons or Fentons, from whom it passed to the Gibbes, and from the latter to...Read More
DARTMOUTH is an ancient borough, market town, and sea-port, picturesquely seated on the western side of the estuary of the Dart, opposite Kingswear, which projects nearly midway into the river, about a mile from its confluence with the English Channel; thus narrowing the entrance, and protecting the spacious harbour above, where there is room for an immense concourse of shipping in the broad waters of the Dart and its creeks. A steam packet plies daily up the Dart to Totnes, about ten miles above, where the valley is crossed by the South Devon Railway. The town has now about 5000 inhabitants, and is distant five miles S.W. by S. of Brixham, 28 miles E. of Plymouth, 30 miles S. by W. of Exeter, and 202 miles W.S.W. of London. The stranger accustomed to the straight, monotonous fronts of modern streets, will be much struck with the projecting fronts, carved brackets, and antique gables of Dartmouth, where many of the houses are of the Elizabethan and earlier ages. The town is built close along the edge of the large basin formed by the estuary, and up the sides of the steep hill rising directly from it. So abrupt is the acclivity of the hill, that from the level of the houses in the upper street, people may almost look down the chimneys of those in the lower street. The two...Read More
DIPTFORD, a small village, on rising ground, in the vale of the river Avon, 5½ miles W.S.W. of Totnes, has in its parish 755 souls, and 4144A. 3R. 15P. of land, including many scattered farm-houses, and lying in several manors. The Rev. W.C. Johnson is lord of the manor of Diptford, formerly held by the Boteler, Courtenay, Fitzcourt, Mules, Sture, and Taylor families. The heiress of the latter married the present owner. The manor of Bendley and the barton of Stert belong to Mr. Henry Weeks, and were long the property and seat of the Heles. Diptford Court is the seat and property of Thos. Butland, Esq.; and J.S. Cornish, Esq., owns Craberton. The Rev. H. Hare has an estate and neat mansion here, called Courtis Knowle, purchased by the late W. Hare, Esq., who erected the present mansion on the site of the old farm-house. It stands on an eminence, and has extensive pleasure grounds. The Ilbert, Bartlett, Webber, and other families have estates in the parish. One acre belongs to the Queen. The Church (St. Mary,) is an ancient structure, on an eminence near the river, and has a tower containing six bells, and crowned by a handsome broach spire. It is in the perpendicular style, but nearly all the windows are modern insertions. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £29. 2s. 1d., and in 1831 at...Read More
BIGBURY, a small village on the west side of the Aven valley, about 1½ miles from Bigbury Bay, and 3½ miles S. of Modbury, has in its parish 652 souls, and 2902A. 2R. 20P. of land. It includes many scattered houses, and a hamlet called St. Ann’s Chapel. The manor was held for nine generations by a family of its own name, and afterwards passed to the Champernownes, Willoughbys, and Pawlets. It now belongs to the Duke of Cleveland and the Countess Dowager of Sandwich, who are also patrons of the rectory, but part of the parish belongs to W. L. Prettejohn and several smaller owners. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28. 7s. 11d., and in 1831 at £688, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Terence Livingston, who has 99A. 2R. 39p. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1843 for £500 per annum. The Church (St. Lawrence,) is an ancient structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. Its pulpit was formerly in Ashburton church, and is finely carved. Here is a small Baptist Chapel. The poor parishioners have the interest of £25, left by a Mr. Lee and a Mr....Read More
ALLINGTON, (EAST) a pleasant scattered village, four miles N.E. by E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 729 souls, and 3500 acres of land, generally having a light fertile soil, and including Combe, Harleston, Yetson, and other scattered farms. W. B. Fortescue, Esq., owns nearly half the parish, and is lord of the manor, and has a handsome seat here, called FALLAPIT HOUSE, where his family has been seated for many generations. The present house is a large and handsome mansion, in the Elizabethan style, erected about 35 years ago, near the old one, an ivy mantled portion of which still remains. The house was enlarged in 1849, and is pleasantly situated in the midst of extensive and tasteful pleasure grounds. Fallapit was anciently the seat of a family of its own name. whose heiress married Sir Henry Fortescue, Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in Ireland. She was his second wife, and their descendants in the male line resided here above 300 years. Sir Edmund Fortescue was created a baronet in 1644, but the title became extinct on the death of his son, in 1683. The estate then passed to a younger branch, which became extinct in 1734, by the death of Edmund Fortescue, Esq., whose daughter married Thomas Bury, Esq., whose heiress carried the estate in marriage to the Rev. Nathl. Wells, whose eldest son took...Read More
- Alabama Genealogy
- Alaska Genealogy
- Arizona Genealogy
- Arkansas Genealogy
- California Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy
- Connecticut Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy
- Hawaii Genealogy
- Idaho Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy
- Indiana Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy
- Kansas Genealogy
- Kentucky Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy
- Maine Genealogy
- Maryland Genealogy
- Massachusetts Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy
- Missouri Genealogy
- Montana Genealogy
- Nebraska Genealogy
- Nevada Genealogy
- New Hampshire Genealogy
- New Jersey Genealogy
- New Mexico Genealogy
- New York Genealogy
- North Carolina Genealogy
- North Dakota Genealogy
- Ohio Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy
- South Carolina Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Texas Genealogy
- Utah Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy
- Virginia Genealogy
- Washington Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy
Free Genealogy Archives
- Virginia High School YearbooksFebruary 22, 2017The following collection of free high school yearbooks and annuals from the state of Virginia comes from the collection of the Library of Virginia. ...
- History and Genealogy of Blue Hill, MaineAugust 29, 2016From the record of the town’s annual meeting held “March 6, 1769”, we learn that it was “Voted that Joseph Wood, Jonathan ...
- 1776-1805 Dutchess County, New York Marriage RecordsAugust 11, 2016These marriage records were transcribed by Lester Card and compiled in 1949. Mr. Card’s introduction to this transcription reads: “These ...
- The Stillwater Messenger, 1861-1874April 27, 2016In the valedictory of A. J. Van Vorhes, written when he sold the Stillwater Messenger plant to Willard S. Whitmore, I find it stated that the first ...
- Yearbooks of the Bayport-Blue Point High School, 1945-2011April 20, 2016The Bayport-Blue Point Public Library has digitized 65 years of yearbooks from the Bayport-Blue Point High School. The books have been scanned and ...
- Monroe County, New York Cemetery RecordsApril 8, 2016The extensive online listings for Monroe County, New York cemetery records should provide researchers with a clear picture of what is still ...
- Calloway County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- Boone County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- A Genealogy of Isaac Elbert BrushSeptember 22, 2015Two publications of, one typescript, and one handwritten manuscript for the Brush genealogy entitled, A Concise Genealogy of Isaac Elbert Brush and ...
- Progressive Men of Western ColoradoJune 10, 2015This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western ...