Collection: Gazetteer of Lamoille County Vermont for 1883-84

Biographical Sketch of Joseph C. Bailey

Joseph C. Bailey, a native of Berlin, Vt., married Miss Sally Gurley, of that place, and removed to Elmore in 1823, where he built a log house near the present residence of Philo Darling. About the year 1852, Mr. Bailey sold his farm to his sons, C. N. and Frank, and removed to Middlesex, where he resided until his death. Chester N. Bailey now occupies a part of the original homestead of 500 acres, on road 43, just on the line of...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Calvin Holton

Calvin Holton, a native of Chester, Vt., born March 3, 1809, came to Wolcott in November, 1831, and located upon the farm now owned by John Wells, near road 16. Here Mr. Holton erected a log house on his 100 acre farm, for which he had paid $200.00, there being then no wagon road within a distance of three miles. His family lived in this log house eighteen years, when he built a frame dwelling, the same now occupied by Mr. Wells. Mr. Holton is now a resident of Milton county, D. T., having become a pioneer for the second time. Five of his seven children are...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Rufus Bruce

Rufus Bruce, a native of Chester, Vt., and son of Rev. Rufus Bruce, came to Wolcott on horseback during the summer of 1831, and bought 100 acres of land on road 22 corner 17. paying therefor $200.00. He then hired a man to slash five acres of the heavy timbered land, and returned to Chester, where he soon after, December 14, married Mary Hovey. In January, 1832, he hired a man to bring them and their household effects to Wolcott, where, for the first six months, they resided in the house with John Phelps, on road 17. In August, 1832, however, their log house was completed, and they moved into it, where they resided until 1846, when a new frame building was completed, the same now occupied by their son, M. Bruce. Mr. Bruce was a brick-maker by trade, though he had taught school in Chester for several years. He was one of the nine original members of the Freewill Baptist church society in this town, which has since become extinct. He died June 17, 1874, aged over seventy years. His wife survived his death three...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Timothy Brown

Timothy Brown and wife, Meredeth Ward, were the first settlers in the town, coming from Westmoreland, N. H., in the year 1797. He bought 450 acres of land on West hill, embracing the Stephen Leach farm and adjoining lands. Here he lived until 1829, when he removed to Ohio, where he passed the remainder of a long life. Four children survived him, Timothy, Bartlett, Rhoda, the wife of Thomas Potter, and Asenath, the wife of Stephen Leach, all of whom attained a ripe old age. The first two died in Ohio, the last two, in Waterville. The year before Mr. Brown came to town Amos Page built a log house without covering it, near where Orrin Tillotson now lives. There was no clearing there at the time, nor was the house occupied by any one for years after the settlement by Mr....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Zephaniah Leach

The Leache are the descendants of a McLeach family, of Scotland. Three brothers McLeach came to this country. from the Highlands of Scotland about 250 years ago, and settled at Cold Run, Mass. They afterwards removed to Westmoreland, N. H., where, nearly 125 years since, the name was changed, on petition to Parliament, from McLeach to Leach. One of these brothers, Josiah McLeach, whose wife was Sarah Brittain, of Wales, was the grandfather of Zephaniah Leach, the early settler of...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Osgood McFarland

Osgood McFarland, a son of Major Moses McFarland, of the revolutionary war, a Scotch-Irish immigrant, together with his wife, Mary Bartlett, came to town from Haverhill, Mass., in 1809. A few years afterwards he removed to Marietta, Ohio. He remained there seven years, when, on account of his health, he returned to Vermont, driving his own team the whole distance, as he had done on the outward journey. On his second coming to Waterville he located upon the farm on East hill, known as the “Tobin place,” whence he removed, after a few years, to West hill, and tilled the farm now owned and occupied by Samuel Brown. During his long and useful life, which closed in 1865, at the age of eighty-four, he served his townsmen acceptably as a member of the legislature, and in other offices of trust and honor. His children were six sons and six daughters, of whom six are now living-Osgood and Eunice in Minnesota , Francis in Massachusetts , Nathan in Hyde Park, and Louisa and Moses in...

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Samuel F. Pike

Samuel F. Pike, a native of Brookfield, Vt., married Betsey B. Newman, of Morristown, and came to this town, locating on road 4, upon the place now owned by Mrs. Nancy Pike. In 1872, he removed to road 4, where he resides with Henry A....

Read More

Biographical Sketch of Heman Story

Heman Story was born in this town, near Moscow. His father died when he was a year and a half old, and his mother died when he was five years of age. In 1861, he located on road 17, corner of 18, where he still...

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest