The sawmill of Scott & Watson, of which we present a cut, is situated at the foot of the Elkhorn Mountains, about five miles west from Haines. The plant covers about five acres, including dwellings of men, blacksmith shop, &c. They manufacture common and clear lumber, and being right in the midst of a fine belt of timber, including pine, fir and tamarack. They are in a fine position to cater to their many customers. They have lately put in an entire new lot of machinery, including boiler, engine, gang engine, &c, which will place them in even a better position to supply the demands of their trade. They employ from ten to fifteen teams and from twenty to twenty-four men, varying with the seasons.
Sam Scott Is a native of Tennessee, and had been engaged in the saw mill business for a period of twelve years before coming to Oregon. He came to this country in 1895, and bought the plant on his arrival here.
J. W. Watson was born in Missouri in 1802. He came to Oregon with his parents in 1862, and after receiving his education, followed farming in Linn County till 1887, coming here then he pursued the same occupation until March last, when he brought into the mill.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.