One of the men who have wrought for the welfare of Wallowa county, as well as doing worthy enterprise for his advancement in the world of industry, is named at the head of this article, and we wish to mention that he is held in the esteem and confidence of his fellows, which his abilities and excellent moral qualities have given him both a prestige and standing that are enviable.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
William H. was born in Jasper County, Missouri, on August 15, 1849, being the son of John and Elizabeth (Selinger) Weathers. When he was five years of age he was taken by his parents to Falls County, Texas, where he was bereft of both parents, their remains sleeping in that section today. In 1862, when sad strife was being precipitated, our subject was with the people where he lived and as he thought was right so he enlisted in the Fifteenth Texas Infantry, Company E. and in that relation did service in the Confederate army until the close of the war and then he was honorably discharged. He had participated in several battles at Shreveport and numerous others, as well as many skirmishes. Subsequent to the war he was following industrial pursuits until 1869 and then on horseback, by cars and with stage he made the journey from the states to La Grande, Oregon. He was occupied variously here until 1878, then was instrumental in fighting the Indians and acted as guard for the stage from La Grande to Pendleton. At this time he was sent for stage horses, with one companion, and they were hard pressed by the savages who succeeded in capturing half of the bunch of horses that they had secured, but to escape with one’s life was counted good.
On January 19, 1879, Mr. Weathers married Miss Ida M., daughter of Thomas B. and Susan (McIndra) Heskett, and four children have gladdened this union. William C., Benjamin F., Robert L., and Mary E. Mrs. Weather’s parents were early pioneers to the Grande Ronde valley, coming thither in 1862, from Wayne County, Iowa. The mother died in January 1869, and the father died in 1902, near Island City. Mr. Weathers continued in the Grande Ronde valley until 1898, and then he sought out his present place, one-half mile northeast from Leap, located one-quarter section and commenced the commendable work of improvements. His farm has been well opened up: he has plenty of water, a good house and barn, young orchard and is laboring steadily in raising the fruits of the field and handling some stock. Mr. Weathers is well interested in the educational affairs of the county and is always on the side of advancement in this good cause, while he has the respect and esteem of all of his acquaintances.