Before Wallowa county had a separate political existence the subject of this sketch was in this section, redeeming from the savage and the unbroken wilds of nature the country and laboring for the development of the same, and constantly he has so demeaned himself that the confidence of all who know him is freely given him, while his characteristic qualities of uprightness, integrity and excellent capabilities for the business affairs of life have been displayed, and he justly stands today in the prominent place that he occupies and enjoys the prestige that his worthy career has gained.
In Hancock County, Illinois, on December 19, 1855, Marshall C. Davis first saw the light and is parents, Jesse and Susan (Chambers) Davis, farmers of that county, brought him in 1860 to Linn county, Kansas. There the father continued in farming until 1879, being numbered with the leading agriculturists of that section. In the year last named the entire family came across the plains to Oregon, the father and our subject taking homesteads near Wallowa. In the tilling of his land and in building a home there, Marshall C. Davis was engaged until 1895, in which year he sold that property and built a planing mill in Wallowa. He operated this successfully until 1901, when he sold it to Thomas DeVall. On August 13, 1898, death called hence the father and his remains peacefully sleep in Bramwell’s cemetery, near Wallowa. The father was a member of the Masonic fraternity. The mother now lives with her daughter, Mrs. Gowing, on Prairie creek.
Mr. Davis and Miss Susie Miller were married in Linn county, Kansas, on March 20, 1879, and three children have been born to them, as follows: Claude E., born September 20, 1882, and died October 12, 1901, being buried in Wallowa cemetery; Maude, born March 10, 1883; Nellie born September 4, 1891. Mrs. Davis was born on March 20, 1850, in Linn County, Kansas, and her father gave his life for the cause of liberty, dying in the Union army during the Rebellion. Mr. Davis is a member of the I.O.O.F., Wallowa Lodge No. tr, in which he holds the office of conductor. He is also a member of the K.O.T.M., Lowland Tent. No 38 and has been sir knight commander since 1897, and is a member of the K. of P. For six years Mr. Davis served in the capacity of notary public and for one term was justice of the peace, in all of which public capacities he acted with uprightness and efficiency. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are devout members of the First Day Adventist church, and are living examples of their faith, while in the community they are held in high esteem by all.