One of our early pioneers, whose worthy labors have done much toward the development of the resources and the substantial progress of Malheur County, is named at the head of this article and he is eminently fitted to he accorded consideration in this volume of his County’s history, since he is a man of good standing, influential and prominent, has always been a progressive and patriotic citizen, is possessed of integrity and a stanch character and is held in high esteem by all of his fellows.
Mr. Shea was born in Canada on March 31, 1847, and there he was educated and remained until he had arrived at manhood’s estate. Then he engaged in lumbering until 1872, at which date he came to this country and engaged with his brother in the stock business. Afterward He went to South Mountain and operated a meat market, then migrated to Silver City, and went into the livery business, and from there he furnished horses to the fleeing settlers at the time of the Indian outbreak in 1878. In 1883 we find him in Wagontown, keeping hotel, where he spent a number of years and soon afterwards he was on Cow creek engaged in the stock business. In 1887 Mr. Shea removed to Jordan creek and bought a ranch and two years later bought his present ranch home three miles east from Jordan Valley. He has four hundred and eighty acres of valuable land and large herds of horses and cattle. Mr. Shea also owns a stage line to De Lamar and Daisy from Jordan Valley, and he has been County assessor for a time.
The marriage of Mr. Shea and Miss Mary Fenwick, a native of California, was celebrated at Wagontown, in 1877, and they have nine children, named as follows: John, Maggie, Sarah, Neal, Agnes, Ellen, Guy, Ilene, and Eugene. Mr. Shea is one of the prominent men of the County, and also one of the heavy property owners and is a stanch, upright and patriotic citizen and esteemed gentleman.