JAMES WEBB. – To the industrious and progressive agriculturist and stockman, whose name initiates this paragraph, we are pleased to accord a representation in this volume of chronicles of Union county, since he is one of the substantial citizens of the county, having wrought out here a commendable success in the vocations which he follows, while his uprightness and integrity have won for him the confidence of the entire community.
Born to John and Arminda (McKinnis) Webb, in Wapello county, Iowa, on January 2, 1874. James knew nothing of a father’s guiding hands, as John Webb died in March of the same year. The death of the mother in 1877 gave the orphan to the hands of the grandmother, and he dwelt in the home of his uncle, L.E. Wilkinson. Until he was sixteen, he remained in his native place, attending district school and assisting on the farm, then in 1890 came to Union with his great uncle, George Wilkinson. The first five years of his stay here were spent in school and general farm work. In the employ of William Wilkinson, in the latter’s saw mill, one yeear was spent. Then he labored for Langrell & Brown, in their saw mill, at Sparta and Carson. In 1898 he bought his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres, which is situated in High valley, eight miles southeast from Union. He uses about half of the place for cultivation of grain and hay and about half for pasture. His hay yields two and one-half tons per acre and his grain land gives bounteous returns to his skillfull husbandry. He owns about twenty head of good cattle and seven head of horses, the latter being fine specimens of their kind, as Mr. Webb takes especial pride in rearing the equines. He has recently completed a fine seven-room modern residence, has a commodious barn and a well-selected orchard, and his place prsents an air of thrift and taste that characterize the owner as to skill and enterprise.
The marriage of Mr. Webb and Miss Nora, daughter of Andrew and Mary Virginia (Lamere) Wilkinson, was celebrated in August, 1897. Mr. Webb’s parents are pioneers of Union county and are now residing in High Valey. Mrs. Webb is numbered among the successful educators of the county, and has gained an enviable record in pedagogic work. Mr. and Mrs. Webb have acquired a pleasant skill in handling the modern photgraphic instruments, and are possessors of some excellent specimens of their work in this line. Fraternally, Mr. Webb is affiliated with the King City, Camp, No. 86, Woodmen of the World in Union. His energy and his perseverance have guided by a praiseworthy sagacity, given him a prestige and competence that are wisely used for the advancement of home interests and in manifestation of public-spirited interest in the affairs of the county and its government.