JOHN S. CLARK. – Much interest attaches to this gentleman as the son of one of the earliest pioneers, and as being himself a native of Oregon. The father, Daniel Clark, was well known in the early days as an immigrant of 1844, who married Miss Bertha Herren, whose acquaintance he had formed upon the plains, and who lived near Hillsboro. After his return from the California gold mines, he located in 1851 the Clark Donation claim near Salem, upon which both he and his wife died. The son John S., whose name forms the caption of this article, was born near Hillsboro, in Washington county, Oregon, February 4, 1848. His early life was spent near Salem, where he attended the public school and enjoyed two years of study at the institute. In 1869 he became a pioneer of the Inland empire, coming to the Grande Ronde and pre-empting a claim at The Cove, where he made his home for thirteen years. In 1870 he was married to Miss Anna, a daughter of Honorable Willard H. Rees, the venerable pioneer of Butteville. In 1872 he devoted his attention exclusively to blacksmithing. In 1870 he opened a prosperous business, and greatly facilitated the harvesting in his section by purchasing a steam threshing machine, with which he operated successfully until the occurrence of an accident, whereby his arm was caught in the belting and torn from the shoulder. This necessitated a change of business; and at the present time he is engaged in the sale of machinery and farm implements in the employ of Frank Brothers of Portland, and has entire charge of their business in Grande Ronde, with headquarters at La Grande.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. and Mrs. Clark, have a pleasant home; and their union has been blessed by three children.