C.M. MALLORY. – Mr. Mallory, a leading merchant of Heppner, Oregon, is recognized as also a representative man of his section. He was born October 18, 1851, in Steuben county, New York, receiving in his native district a substantial, practical education. In 1868 he acted upon an enterprising impulse, and sought the newest side of the new world, coming via the Isthmus to Oregon, and selecting first a location near Salem.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
In 1870 he sought a still newer and fresher field in the Inland Empire, laying a claim near the present site of Heppner. While waiting for a city to grow up near him, he followed the life of a stock-ranger, and made himself active in public matters and in the politics of the neighborhood. Coming to Heppner, he was appointed postmaster in 1878, and in connection with attendance upon his office carried a stock of confectionery, and a length developed that into a drug business. In 1880 he reconverted his goods and business location into livestock, resigned his office, and assumed the life of a sheep-rancher; but in 1881 he returned to the city and entered once again upon business as a druggist. That he followed successfully until 1888. In that year he was able to sell his drug store to advantage, and to set up a flourishing business in the line of furniture, which he at present conducts to his own profit and to the advantage of the public.
In 1882 Mr. Mallory was married to Miss Mary Davis, of Union, Oregon. They have one daughter, Maud.