One of the representative agriculturists of Nowata county is Millard Collier, who since 1904 has been residing on his present place, two miles north of Nowata. A native of Texas, he was born on the Miller Brothers’ ranch, twelve miles southeast of Waco, on the 22d of June, 1877, a son of Charles and Reddie (Hottenger) Collier. His parents were married in Texas and his mother died when he was six years old. In later life the father went to Indian Territory and rented land fifteen miles northeast of Nowata, engaging in farming to the time of his death on the 8th of May, 1914. He had been a constant sufferer from asthma for some years prior to his demise. In the acquirement of an education Millard Collier attended the common schools of Kansas, where his parents had removed when he was an infant.
At the age of eighteen years he commenced life on his own account, farming in connection with his father until the latter’s death. Since 1904 Mr. Collier has resided on his present place, two miles north of Nowata. Seventy acres of it is his wife’s allotment and he has from time to time added land, until the farm now consists of two hundred and fifty acres. He has one hundred and five acres under cultivation, fifteen acres of which are in alfalfa and twenty in sweet clover, and he intends to put more land under cultivation in the near future. In addition to general farming Mr. Collier raises shorthorn cattle, Duroc hogs and barred rock chickens. He now has thirty head of shorthorn cattle.
This farm is one of the show places of the county with its modern country home and barns, its fields of oats, wheat, corn, alfalfa and sweet clover and, as though the earth had-not given enough, oil is plentiful on the land, bringing to Mr. Collier large royalties. He devotes his entire time to the cultivation of his land and is progressive in all of his methods. The success he has attained is the result of his own intelligently directed efforts and he is readily conceded to be one of the most progressive and representative farmers, stockmen, and oil men in this section of the state.
On June 22, 1903, Mr. Collier was united in marriage to Miss Mina Johnson, born on Hickory creek in Nowata county. Her parents were A. F. and Laura (Riley) Johnson, the father being a native of Iowa who came to Indian Territory at an early day with his parents, J. C. and Eliza (Maxon) Johnson. They located near Alluwe on Salt creek and for thirty years J. C. Johnson was government physician for the Delaware Indians, boarding with Chief Journeycake. A. F. Johnson was a pharmacist and accountant but after coming to Indian Territory he engaged in farming, along which line he was active until his demise on the day after Christmas, 1906. Mrs. Johnson died in 1890. Mrs. Collier is a woman of much culture and refinement and received her education in the Female Seminary at Tahlequah. In her youth the town of Nowata was not so much as even a shadowy reality. Her aunt; Mrs. W. E.
Roberts, is one of the pioneer residents of this county.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Methodist church, and fraternally Mr. Collier is identified with the Woodmen of the World and is a member of Woodman Circle. His political allegiance is given to the Democratic Party and although he has never sought nor desired public preferment, he takes an active part in every movement for public improvement and development.