Coming to Indian Territory in 1890, M. W. Burrows was for many years actively identified with oil development work in this state, but has recently purchased a farm in Cherokee County, Kansas, which he intends to devote to the raising of fruit. He was born in Newton County, Missouri, January 17, 1876, of the marriage of J. H. and Mary E. (Medlin) Burrows, both natives of that state. The father is seventy years of age and is now living in Cherokee County, Kansas. In 1890 he came to Indian Territory, locating near Copan, on the Little Caney River, and there the mother passed away in 1899. Subsequently he removed to the eastern part of the state, taking up his residence on the Quapaw Indian reservation, while later he returned to Kansas, in which state he has since made his home.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
M. W. Burrows received his education in the public schools of Newton County, Missouri, and in 1890 came with his father to Indian Territory, settling on a farm on the Little Caney River, four miles west of Copan, and in addition to cultivating the soil he has also been actively connected with oil development work for the past fifteen years. He recently purchased a, forty-acre farm in Cherokee County, Kansas, one mile from the Oklahoma line and one and a half miles from the Missouri line, twenty acres of this place being already well developed and improved. The land is adapted to the raising of grapes, strawberries, blackberries, apples, peaches and plums. He is likewise the owner of a good home in Copan. He is a carpenter by trade and intends to erect fine buildings on his Kansas farm, on which there is now a four-room house and a small barn. He is a practical farmer, familiar with the best methods of cultivating the soil, and his operations are conducted along the most progressive and scientific lines.
On the 9th of May, 1914, Mr. Burrows was united in marriage to Miss Pearl M. Wilson, a daughter of J. A. and Emma (Burdges) Wilson, the former a Delaware. Four children have been born of this union: Treva, James, La Homa and Vidol. Mrs. Burrows was formerly the owner of an eighty-acre tract near her father’s farm but has recently sold the place. Mr. Burrows is recognized as an enterprising and alert business man and a progressive and public-spirited citizen, and his personal qualities are such that he has gained the warm friendship of many.