Hon. A. E. Craver, a leading member of the Washington county bar for many years, was connected with the work of the courts both as lawyer and lawmaker and was representing his district in the state legislature at the time of his death, on January 29, 1922, leaving the impress of his individuality upon the legislative history of Oklahoma. He was born in Marshall County, Indiana, September 17, 1866, and was a son of George Washington and Eliza (Gray) Craver, the former a native of Hagerstown, Maryland, while the latter was born in Baltimore, that state. The father was a farmer by occupation, specializing in the raising of live stock, and his’ demise occurred on the 1st of May, 1906, while the mother also passed away in that year.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
In the acquirement of an education Mr. Craver attended the public schools of Marshall county, Indiana, after which he entered the law department of the University of Indiana and was graduated from that institution of learning with the class of 1887.
He began his business career as a money lender in western Kansas, after which he took charge of the legal business of the American Transportation Company. He next entered the oil business in Kansas and in 1902 came to Oklahoma, settling in Bartlesville, where he continued his oil operations, also engaging in the practice of law. He had visited the state at the time it was opened up for settlement on the 22d of April, 1889, but remained here for only a short time, going to Chicago, Illinois, where he resided until his removal to Bartlesville on the 2d of September, 1902, and during that period he was retained as counsel by several large corporations of the western metropolis. He maintained his offices in the Lannon building and his practice had reached extensive proportions and he numbered among his clients were several large oil companies here. His legal learning, his analytical mind, the readiness with which he grasped the points in an argument, all combined to make him one of the most capable attorneys who ever practiced in Washington county and he was particularly successful as a corporation lawyer.
Mr. Craver gave his political allegiance to the Republican Party and in 1916 he was called to public office, being elected to represent Washington County in the state legislature. That his services were entirely satisfactory to his constituents is indicated in the fact that he was serving his third term in that office when called to the home beyond and he has been the stalwart champion of many measures which have found their way to the statute books of the state and are proving of great value to the commonwealth. He introduced the bill giving the counties the right to build hospitals, which has since become a law, and in public office he ever stood for development and for constructive measures, the worth of his work being widely acknowledged. The cause of education found in him a strong advocate and he did everything in his power to raise the standards of instruction in the state.
His fraternal connections were with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Pythias and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. Natural talent, acquired ability, determination and energy brought him to a foremost position in the ranks of the legal fraternity of Washington County and as a member of the state legislature he did effective service for the public good, his influence being at all times on the side of progress and improvement. His death occurred at the State University Hospital, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, January 29, 1922. Interment took place at Bartlesville, Oklahoma.