H. V. Lowe, proprietor of the telephone exchange at Ramona and an alert and energetic business man, whose connection with various interests is at all times beneficial to the enterprises which he represents, was born in Sydney, Iowa, on the 18th of May, 1878. His father, James Lowe, was a native of Ohio and during the early boyhood of his son H. V. Lowe, he removed with his family to the old Indian reservation in what is now Gage County, Nebraska, settling at Beatrice. There he still resides at the advanced age of seventy-nine years. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Isabelle R. Vanlaton, was born at Sydney, Iowa, and died in Nebraska in 1919. There were seven children in their family: T. V., a resident of Goodland, Kansas; R. V., at Ramona; F. V., living at Steele City, Nebraska; H. V., of this review; Grace V., the wife of John Adcock, a resident of Yuma, Arizona; Blanche V., the wife of E. M. Shields of Lafontaine, Kansas; and May V., the wife of John Clark of Tucson, Arizona.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
H. V. Lowe pursued his education largely in the schools of his native city and accompanied his parents on their removal to Gage County, Nebraska. There he continued to live until 1901, when he came to Oklahoma, settling at Broken Arrow, where he entered the real estate and telephone business. He built the exchange there and after successfully operating it for six years removed to Waldron, Arkansas, where he again engaged in the telephone business, buying and operating the exchange. After a year, however, he sold out and came to Ramona in 1908. He has since owned and operated the telephone exchange here and controls telephonically the territory within a radius of twelve miles of Ramona. He gives the closest attention to the business in order to insure good service to the patrons of the office and their number is constantly increasing. He is likewise a director of the Citizens State Bank of Ramona and owns the four principal corners of the town, on each of which is a substantial brick building, from which he derives a most gratifying annual income. One of the corners is occupied by the bank and stores are found on two of the other corners. In addition to his town property Mr. Lowe owns two hundred and seventy acres of improved land three miles south of Ramona, which he rents. He has a fine home in the city.
In 1914 Mr. Lowe was united in marriage to Miss Ola C. Greenwood, a daughter of J. P. and May B. (Tyner) Greenwood, one of the oldest Cherokee families of the state and also one of the most highly respected. Mr. and Mrs. Lowe have one child, Katherine Myrtle, now three years of age. Mr. Lowe belongs to the town council of Ramona and carefully considers all of the vital questions which come up for settlement regarding the welfare, progress and improvement of the city. Alert and energetic, he is always ready for any emergency or any opportunity and is a dynamic force in the development and up building of his section of the state. Mr. Lowe has membership with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.