Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
G. W. Lucas, a progressive farmer residing near Ochelata, in Washington county, is a member of a family that has contributed to the agricultural development of Oklahoma from pioneer times to the present and in addition to his farming interests he also engages in teaming, meeting with success in both branches of activity. He was born in Mercer County, Missouri, November 16, 1869, and when four years of age was taken to Missouri by his parents, John W. and Susan (Hatfield) Lucas, who came to Indian Territory in 1874, settling on Double creek, a mile south of Ochelata, where they cultivated leased land. When the Cherokee Strip was opened up for settlement they removed to that section and took up homesteads which they developed and improved. The father is eighty-seven years of age and the mother has reached her eighty-first year. They make their home with their son, W. R. Lucas, renting the eighty-acre farm, on which there are five good producing oil wells. Mr. and Mrs. Lucas became the parents of six children: Eva J., Jesse A., W. R., G. W., C. I. and Ida A., all of whom are married and living in Oklahoma with the exception of Jesse A. W. R. Lucas is the owner of nine hundred acres of land in this section.
In 1915 G. W. Lucas purchased his present ranch of eighty acres, situated two and a half miles northeast of Ochelata, on Gorham creek. His house and buildings are located in the midst of a five-acre pecan grove, the trees being unusually large and healthy and prolific bearers. He devotes his attention to general agricultural pursuits, also raising live stock and chickens, and the various phases of his business are conducted along the most practical and progressive lines, resulting in the attainment of a gratifying degree of success. He has also been engaged in teaming for the oil companies throughout his active career and thoroughly understands work of that nature.
In 1891 Mr. Lucas was united in marriage to Miss Annie Evans, a daughter of W. P. and Sarah (Johnson) Evans, natives of Illinois, who came to Indian Territory in 1886 and located on a farm just south of where Mr. Lucas now resides, both passing away on that property.
Mr. and Mrs. Lucas have become the parents of five sons : D. C., Ira R., J. F., Clem and G. W., Jr., aged, respectively, twenty-nine, twenty-seven, thirteen, ten and eight years. All are at home with the exception of the eldest son, who married Miss Katie West and has three children, Lilly May, Carlton and Austin.
Mr. Lucas has been called to public office, serving as road commissioner and as a member of the school board before purchasing his present farm, and discharging his duties conscientiously and efficiently. For forty-seven years-he has resided within the borders of this state and has therefore witnessed its rapid growth and up building as its rich resources have been developed and the primitive conditions of pioneer times have given place to the advantages of civilization. He has borne his part in the work of general progress and improvement and in his life exemplifies the spirit of enterprise that has ever been synonymous with the family name in this state.