Bartlesville owes much to the progressive spirit and notable business ability of Alfred J. Smysor, whose extensive real estate operations have been a dominant force in the up-building and development of the town, and he is also recognized as a successful merchant and oil operator. He was born in Windsor, Shelby County, Illinois, February 4, 1873, and there attended the grammar and high schools, later attending a business college. In 1893 he completed his studies and then became a member of the firm of Smysor & Son, of which his father was the head, continuing active in general l merchandising until 1908.
In that year Mr. Smysor came to Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and purchased a fifty-five acre tract of land, which he subdivided into two hundred and sixty-eight lots. His business was conducted under the style of Collison & Smysor and at their own expense the firm completed three and a half miles of street grading, put in sewers and set out trees, expending twenty-two thousand dollars in street improvements. They also built sidewalks and on the property they erected over two hundred houses. At the present time, in association with Jay H. Mullen, Mr. Smysor is marketing an addition on the south side of the town, consisting of thirty lots. They operate under the name of Smysor & Mullen and have erected seven houses on the addition. They have also laid side-walks and now have a petition before the commissioners for paving the streets. Assisted by James Panagos, Mr. Smysor has also erected a fine modern building which is a credit to the town, the lower floor being occupied by stores, over which are six well appointed apartments. He is likewise engaged in merchandising, being proprietor of the Home Dry Goods Store, which is situated on Third Street and carries one of the finest lines of ladies ready-to-wear clothing in the County. He employs eight salespeople in the conduct of the establishment and is also interested in oil production, being now engaged in drilling his thirty-fourth well. His activities have covered a wide scope and he possesses the foresight, self-reliance and business sagacity necessary to carry on large enterprises successfully. He is rarely at fault concerning the worth of real estate and its possible rise or diminution in value, and an analyzation of his life record indicates a keen discernment in business projects as well as notable wisdom in investment.
Mr. Smysor has been married twice. To his first union was born a daughter, Mary D., who married Ralph Inglefield, of Bartlesville, and they now have a son, Ralph, Jr. For his second wife he chose Mary E. Dietle, of Bartlesville, and they have become the parents of one child, Alfred J., Jr. Their home is at No. 325 Delaware Street. To the energetic nature and strong mentality of such men as Mr. Smysor are due the development and ever increasing prosperity of Bartlesville. In every sphere of life in which he has acted he has left a marked impress through his ability and tireless energy, which never falls short of the accomplishment of its purpose, and he is preeminently a business man whose record is written in terms of success.