Knox, William; architect; born, Glasgow, Scotland, Jan. 20, 1858; son of Thomas and Margaret Neilson Knox; studied in the Free Church Seminary, in Glasgow, special course in architecture in Glasgow and Edinburgh; married, Painesville, O., June 21, 1891, Miss Agnes Julia Child; issue, three children, Carlos C., Beulah G., and M. Neilson; business career, successor to Mr. Aitken, in the firm of Moffett & Aitken, in Edinburgh; in 1886, left Scotland to travel; applied for and secured position with Burnham & Root, architects, of Chicago, Ill.; later office mgr. for Henry Ives Cobb, eminent architect; came to Cleveland in 1893; after a few months, formed partnership with J. H. Elliott, under firm name of Knox & Elliott; have been the architects for many fine buildings throughout the country and in the city, the Rockefeller Bldg., Trinity Congregational Church, building for the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Elks’ Bldg., as well as numerous factories and beautiful residences; member American Ass’n for the Advancement of Science, Chamber of Commerce, Euclid, and Rowfant Clubs; interested in scientific research; has the finest collection of seaweed in the country; authority on the subject of mushrooms.
Biographical Sketch of William Knox
MLA Source Citation:The Book of Clevelanders: A Biographical Dictionary of Living Men of the City of Cleveland. Burrows Book Company. 1914. AccessGenealogy.com. Web. 24 July 2016.
https://www.accessgenealogy.com/ohio/biographical-sketch-of-william-knox.htm- Last updated on Mar 8th, 2012
This page is part of a larger collection. Access the full collection at The Book of Clevelanders.