Richard Warfield, immigrant ancestor, located west of Crownsville, Anne Arundel, “in the woods,” in 1662. An old Warfield record claims that he settled near Annapolis in 1639, but there was no settlement there at the time, and he was not among the first settlers in 1649. His estate reached back to Round Bay. of the Severn. The rent rolls show that he held, during his life, “Warfield.” “Warfield’s Right,” “Hope,” “Increase,” “Warfield’s Plains,” “Warfield’s Forest.” Warfield’s Addition,” “Brandy,” and “Warfield’s Range.”
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
He married, 1670, Elinor Browne, heiress of Captain John Browne, of London, who, with his brother Captain Peregrine Browne, ran two of the best equipped merchant transports between London and Annapolis. She inherited “Hope” and “Increase,” two adjoining tracts of land, which were taken tip by Henry Sewell and transferred by him to John Minter; they were willed by him to his daughter Elizabeth. wife of Henry Winchester, and these two joined in deeding them, in 1673, to Captain John Browne; in 1705, Richard Warfield appeared before the commission to restore the burnt records of 1704, and asked for a record of the history of the transfers.
In 1675 he and his wife Elinor were called as witnesses to the chancery contest over the will of their neighbor, Nicholas Wyatt. In 1689 he signed, as a military officer, the address to King William. In 1696 his name was returned as one of the vestry of St. Ann’s church, before the church was completed.
In his old age he began the first westward movement for settlement in the unexplored frontier of Howard. He rode thirty miles on horseback to plant the first stake of “Warfield’s Range” upon the falls of Middle Patuxent as Savage Factory, running back two miles. Hou. John Dorsey sent out his surveyors from “Hockley” to go beyond Richard Warfield on the north. Among other settlers Thomas Browne, Charles Carroll, of Annapolis, Benjamin Hood, Richard Snowdon, Colonel Henry Ridgely, and Colonel Edward Dorsey. All these surveys were made before 1700, and a quarter of a century later this whole area was occupied by the sons and grandsons of these pioneer surveyors. In 1704 Richard Warfield’s sons and executors resurveyed “Warfield’s Range,” and increased it to fifteen hundred acres. It extended up to Millersville, and “Warfield’s Forest” was near Indian Landing.
Richard Warfield died at an advanced age, in 1703-04, and named in his will made in 1703, John, Richard. Alexander, Benjamin, Mary deceased, Rachel and Elinor. He left two hundred and eighty acres of “Warfield’s Range” to Benjamin. and one hundred and fifty to his daughter. Rachel Yates. John and Alexander took up “Venison Park” on the south, and Richard and Benjamin surveyed “Wincopin Neck” and “Warfield’s Contrivance” on the north. None of these brothers occupied these ranges. Their sons were the real settlers. Children: 1. John, mentioned elsewhere. 2. Richard, unmarried. 3. Alexander. was on the committee for extending Annapolis: some of the land he had from his father is still held by descendants. 4. Benjamin, married Elizabeth. daughter of Captain Richard and Elizabeth (Jones) Duvall, granddaughter of William Jones, of Anne Arundel county, and Elizabeth had for a wedding gift seven hundred and eighty acres of Lugg Ox at the forks of the Patuxent. 5. Mary, married, about 1690, Captain John Howard Jr. 6. Rachel, married George Yates, son of George and Mary (Wells) Yates. 7. Elinor, married, in 1704, Caleb Dorsey, of “Hockley,” and lived in the old mansion house, which stood only a few feet from the present location of the railroad, just west of the “Best Gate.”