F. Allen De Graw, who has a well established law practice in Clifton Springs, New York, traces his ancestry to France, as his name indicates. The family settled in 1618, in Holland, seeking there a refuge from the persecutions of their native land. They only remained in Holland two years. Two brothers and their families came to America in 1620 and settled at Flatbush, Long Island, and from there one branch went to New York state, one to New Jersey and one remained on Long Island. The name was originally de Grasse.
Arthur H., son of John Hall De Graw, was born in the town of Wayne, and followed the occupation of farming. He served as a justice of sessions for one term, and as a justice of the peace for many years. He supported Republican principles.
F. Allen, son of Arthur H. De Graw, was born in the town of Wayne, Steuben county, New York, June 7, 1875. His preparatory education was acquired in the Haveling Free Academy, Bath, New York, from which he was graduated in 1893, and he then became a student at the Albany Law School, from which he was graduated June 4. 1897.
He removed to Hammondsport, New York. where he practiced law from March, 1898, until June, 1900, when he established himself in Wayland, New York, where he remained until September, 1903. He then went to Clifton Springs, New York, where he opened offices and has acquired a large and lucrative practice. He has been an earnest and active worker in the interests of the Republican party. His religious affiliations are with the Episcopal church, and he is a member of Erbana Lodge, No. 459, Free and Accepted Masons, of Hammondsport, New York.
Mr. De Graw married, at Hammondsport, New York, September 4, 1900, Flora Deane, a native of that place, who was born October 13, 1882. Children: Carl Beverly, born October 24, 1901, Lawrence Kenilworth, born November 28, 1907, and Alice Louise, born July 27, 1910.