(IV) William H. (2), son of William H. (1) and Catharine (Chandler) Cornford, was born in Phelps, June 15, 1859. He was educated in the district schools and in his boyhood he shared with his parents the hardships of a pioneer’s life in Michigan. Upon his return to Phelps he assisted his father in farming for a number of years, and eventually pursued that calling upon his own account. For a period of six years he carried on a farm upon a sharing basis. About 1889 he removed to the village, and for the ensuing five years was employed as a clerk in a drygoods store. In 1894 he purchased the saddlery business hitherto conducted by H. Rice and Sons, and has ever since been engaged successfully in that line of trade. In 1901 he was appointed a justice of the peace to fill a vacancy, and through successive reelections has retained that office to the present time. He is prominently identified with the Methodist Episcopal church, and in addition to serving as trustee and treasurer for the past ten years, he is actively interested in forwarding its charitable and benevolent work.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. Cornford was married, December 12, 1878, to Miss Helen Loveridge. They have one son, Enoch Marsh, born May 13. 1880. and is now (1910) engaged in the business with his father.