John C., son of John and Minerva (Spier) Gifford, was born at the homestead in Phelps, July 23, 1837. After the completion of his studies, which were pursued in the public schools of Phelps and at the Fort Plain (New York) Seminary, he turned his attention to the cultivation of the soil at the homestead, and eventually purchased the property on which he is still residing. Energetic, industrious and optimistic, he has always obtained large and superior crops, and has disposed of his surplus produce to good advantage. Naturally of a religious temperament, which was fostered by his parents, he succeeded his father as one of the pillars of the Methodist church, and for many years has served as trustee and steward. He is a member of WideAwake Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, and was formerly its chaplain.
Mr. Gifford married, 1893, Harriet, daughter of Edwin and Mary Jane (Prichard) Seager, granddaughter of Levi Seager, an early settler in Phelps; and great-granddaughter of Micah Seager, of Simsbury, Connecticut. Edwin Seager was born in Phelps, 1821, was a farmer in early life, later engaging in mercantile pursuits in his native town. Subsequently he went to Syracuse, and finally to Rochester, New York, where he died. Children of Edwin and Mary Jane (Prichard) Seager: Harriet, now (1910) Mrs. Gifford; Charles, George and Edwin. Mr. and Mrs. Gifford have no children.