Eugene C. Denton, well known in legal and business circles in the state of New York, is the son of Stephen E. and Ann E. Denton, both natives of Orange county, New York, the former having been a paper manufacturer in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, until his death in 1868.
Eugene C. Denton was born in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, December 10, 1865. He was a pupil in the public schools of Canandaigua, New York, 1875-99, then attended the Canandaigua Academy, from which he was graduated in 1883. He next matriculated at the University of Rochester, New York, and was graduated from the classical department of that institution in 1887 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Having made a choice of the legal profession for his life work, he commenced the study of law in the office of Martin W. Cooke, and was admitted to the bar in 1889. He was then for a time managing clerk in the office in which he had prosecuted his studies. In January, 1891, he opened offices on his own account in Rochester, and in 1895 associated himself in a partnership with George F. Slocum, practicing under the firm name of Slocum & Denton, this relation being maintained until April, 1900, since which time Mr. Denton has practiced alone. He is a man of large and diversified activities, and is trustee of the People’s Rescue Mission, vestryman of Christ Episcopal church, and a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, the State and Rochester Bar Associations, Rochester Chamber of Commerce, and the University Club of Rochester.
Mr. Denton married, at Rochester, May 17, 1904, Mary H., a daughter of Harvey W. Brown.