The Evangelical Congregational church of Harrisville was organized September 22, 1840, by a council composed of clergymen and delegates from the following towns: Swanzey, Troy, Antrim. New Ipswich. and Warwick, Mass., with thirty-one members, the first pastor being Rev. Otis C. Whiton. Their church building was erected in 1840-43, a brick structure capable of seating 350 persons, cost $4,000.00, and is now valued, including grounds, at $5,000.00. The society has fifty-one members, with Rev. George H. Dunlap, pastor. There have been added to the original thirty-one members 189 others, making a total of 220, of which 169 have been removed by death and otherwise, leaving now a membership of fifty-one, resident and nonresident. The church was organized through the instrumentality of the Harrises, there being fourteen charter members of this name. Bethuel Harris and his sons erected a brick vestry, in which evening meetings were to be held before a church was organized, and when finished the first meeting held therein was for organizing a church. Bethuel Harris gave one-half the money for the erection of the present edifice, and Milan donated the organ, employed at, organist, and made other liberal contributions from time to time.
The Evangelical Congregational Church, Harrisville, NH
MLA Source Citation:Hurd, Duane Hamilton. History of Cheshire and Sullivan counties, New Hampshire. Philadelphia: J. W. Lewis. 1886. AccessGenealogy.com. Web. 26 August 2016.
https://www.accessgenealogy.com/new-hampshire/the-evangelical-congregational-church-harrisville-nh.htm- Last updated on Aug 20th, 2012
This page is part of a larger collection. Access the full collection at History of Cheshire County New Hampshire.