Fair Grounds And Trotting Park of Keene, NH
The Cheshire County Agricultural Society has grounds here, twenty-six acres in extent, with all the buildings and accessories necessary to a firstclass exhibition, which annually is made. In laying out the grounds the forest trees were permitted to stand along the avenues where the cattle pens are located, so that visitors may view the specimens and be well protected from sun or rain. The grounds are about a mile and a half distant from the cityhall. The Agricultural Society was organized January 16, 1850, when Salma Hale, of Keene, was chosen president; A. B. Hodskins, of Walpole, Edmund Jones, of Marlboro, and Thomas D. Gibbs, of Jaffrey, vice-presidents; T. H. Leverett, of Keene, secretary and treasurer; and Upton Burnap, of Nelson, Thomas H. Adams, of Fitzwilliam, and Charles Watkins, of Walpole, executive committee. The present officers are, George K. Wright, president; Elbridge Kingsbury, secretary; and Joseph A. Abbott, treasurer.
In 1875 the Keene Driving Park Association was formed, by a stock company, fifty shares at $100.00 each being sold. A fine half-mile track was made on Main street, near Swanzey plain, with accessory buildings, etc., at a cost of $8,500.00. The first meeting was held thereon on the 3d of July, 1875, when there were eighty-five entries. In 1879 the company sold the park to a company of gentlemen of which M. J. Sherman was president, and F. A. Barker, secretary. In 1883 the Agricultural Society gave up its annual fair, and the members of the park prepared their grounds for exhibitions, made it a success, and in 1884 gave another successful fair, and they propose to continue the same annually. The present officers are M. J. Sherman, president; 0. G. Nims, vice-president; Henry H. Couillard, secretary; H. P. Muchmore, treasurer; and N. G. Guernsey, superintendent.