George H. Savage, now living in retirement in Henniker village, was born December 25, 1855, in Orford, Grafton County, son of John A. and Maria (Edmester) Savage. His father was born and bred in Grafton County, and his mother in Everett, Mass. When a boy of sixteen, he left home determined to make his own way in the world. Going to Massachusetts, he located in Charlestown, where he began his active career as a peddler of milk and cream. Purchasing his supplies from the large dairies of Hillsborough and Henniker, this county, he had it shipped to a distributor for general merchandise in partnership with Mr. Morgan. Active in local affairs, he was a Selectman and legislative Representative, and was respected to a degree only second to the parish minister. He attended the Unitarian church. His wife Sally, who came from Plaistow, N.H., was born May 28, 1813. She became the mother of five children; namely, Frederick, Darius N., an infant daughter, Joseph Sidney, and Ella. All were natives of Plainfield except Frederick, who was born July 11, 1836, at Grantham, and is a popular and prosperous merchant of Lebanon. Joseph S., born April 13, 1851, is the popular pastor of the Unitarian church at Stow, Mass. Ella, born September 16, 1853, taught school for some time after her graduation from Kimball Academy, and at length married Mr. George F. Doty, of Meriden. She has two children-Lena M. and George F., Jr.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
After finishing with school, Darius Noyes Moulton worked on the home farm with his father, remaining until the death of the latter. When he was twenty-one years old, his father gave him a share in the business; and together they went into stock-raising to a considerable extent. For the past twenty-five years Mr. Moulton has done a large amount of trading in farms, horses, cattle, and real estate of various kinds, besides carrying on the farm. He has become a wealthy man, and is to-day regarded as one of the solid business men of the town. He owns a number of farms, and has helped many a poor man in securing a comfortable home and a good farm. Of a generous disposition, he cannot resist an appeal for aid when his sympathies are aroused. Although constantly engaged in all sorts of transactions, he was never known to take an unfair advantage. Public-spirited to a high degree, he is interested in everything that concerns the welfare or progress of his native town. He has filled various town offices with credit to himself and in a manner worthy of the family name. Mr. Moulton attends the Unitarian church, and is a liberal benefactor not only of that church, but of all the others in the town. He has been a great traveller, having journeyed all over the United States and Canada. Since 1885 Mr. Moulton, in company with Mr. Roberts, the Town Clerk of Meriden, N.H., has owned and operated the large store owned formerly by E. E. Clark.