George H. Cilley, a prominent farmer of Hill, is a native of Bristol, N.H., born May 15, 1864. A son of John M. Cilley, of Andover, he is a descendant of one of the early pioneer families of that district. His great-grandfather cleared Cilley Hill, a projection of Ragged Mountain. The father, John M. Cilley, was a druggist and jeweller of Bristol, where he had a store for a number of years. He married Susan Herbert, daughter of Saunders Herbert; and the subject of this sketch is their only child. After the death of the father, the mother married Deacon Eben W. Mason, and thereafter resided on the old Mason farm until her death in 1889.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
George H. Cilley has resided for some time on the Mason homestead. In his early years he served an apprenticeship at the printer’s trade, and subsequently worked at the case and in the job department. On December 13, 1886, Mr. Cilley married Ida A. Currier, daughter of Charles E. and Hannah (Cilley) Currier, of Andover. They have two children-Roy C. and Leon D. Being a farmer, Mr. Cilley is, of course, a member of the grange. He has also been a Selectman of the town, and he was Chairman of the School Board for two years. He is a Republican, a Good Templar, and a member of the Christian Church of Hill.
Every one who goes to the Mason homestead is sure to admire the stately elm-tree with spreading branches which stands near the approach to the house from Hill Centre. Over a hundred years ago a gentleman visiting the place carried in his hand a small elm switch, which he stuck into the ground. The result of that simple act is the venerable tree seen there to-day, and which offers its shade to all passers-by.