Daniel B. Sanborn, a successful farmer of East Concord, Merrimack County, was born in Webster, N.H., April 12, 1840, son of Daniel and Sally (Batchelder) Sanborn.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. Sanborn’s grandfather, Tristam Sanborn, came to Webster with his wife and her parents, and took up land on what is now known as Sanborn and Clough’s Hill. He lived to be quite an old man, and remained in this place until his death. He had a large family of children, of whom Daniel, father of the subject of this sketch, was the youngest but one. Daniel Sanborn moved to Canterbury when his son Daniel B. was but an infant. He bought a farm there, but later came to East Concord, and spent his last days here, dying at the age of seventy-two years. During his early life he worked for a time as a stone cutter, but subsequently devoted himself to farming. While living in Canterbury he served as Selectman. His wife, Sally Batchelder Sanborn, was a daughter of Samuel Batchelder, of Northwood, N.H. Their family consisted of four children, including the subject of this sketch: Ann is the wife of Charles L. Brown, and resides in Concord; Frank, the youngest son, married Hattie Blanchard, and has two sons; Mary Etta is unmarried.
Daniel B. Sanborn, the eldest child of his parents, received his education in the district schools of Canterbury and in the Concord High School. He came to this town in 1876, and now owns one hundred and twenty acres of tillage land. Besides his farming interests he does a fair business in lumber. He may be called a self-made man, as his success is the result of his own enterprise and intelligence. He married Miss Emmeline P. Clough, a daughter of William and Sophronia (Chase) Clough. Mrs. Sanborn is the mother of five children-Walter C., Sadie F., Harry B., Maud E., and Daniel W.
Mr. Sanborn is a Democrat, politically. He has served two years as Selectman, and was elected a member of the New Hampshire State legislature, to serve during 1897 and 1898. His first Presidential vote was cast for General McClellan in 1864.