Captain John L. Kelley, proprietor of Maplewood Farm, Franklin, and an ex-member of the New Hampshire legislature, is a native of Gilmanton, Belknap County. He was born September 19, 1824, his parents being Daniel and Sally (Weeks) Kelley, the former a native of Gilmanton and the latter of Gilford.
Daniel Kelley carried on a farm in his native town until 1866, when he moved to Franklin, where he resided for the rest of his life. He was the father of six children, as follows: Betsey M., born June 3, 1813, who died April 18, 1895; Sara, born June 11, 1815, died October 18, 1878; Mary Ann, born April 11, 1817; Ellen W., born October 28, 1821, who married William Bell, and died March 16, 1862; John L., the subject of this sketch; and Daniel W., who died in infancy. Mary Ann Kelley has been twice married, and her first husband was John S. Durrell. She married for her second husband Challis Sargent, of Tilton, and is now residing in Lisbon, N.H.
John L. Kelley grew to manhood and acquired his education in Gilmanton, and since leaving school has been engaged in agricultural pursuits. The farm he now cultivates consists of three hundred acres, and is one of the most desirable pieces of agricultural property in this part of the county. Truck farming is carried on quite extensively, as well as stock-raising; but Maplewood Farm is especially noted for its excellent milk, and two wagons are required to supply the regular customers in Franklin Falls. On the premises is a fine greenhouse, where flowering plants receive their share of attention. In addition to all this the proprietor of Maplewood Farm has been interested in real estate business, and has erected several buildings in Franklin Falls and vicinity.
On October 24, 1847, Captain Kelley was united in marriage with Susan J. Drew, who was born in Alton, N.H., September 5, 1823, daughter of Joseph and Leah (Jones) Drew. Mrs. Kelley is the mother of six children, namely: Emily Bird, born November 9, 1850; Olin J., born December 4, 1852, who was fitted for college at Tilton; Charles Hazen, born April 21, 1856; Elmer D., born November 7, 1861; Nellie B., born September 2, 1863; and John Irving, born June 2, 1870. Emily Bird Kelley was married November 28, 1876, to the Rev. J. W. Walker, a Methodist preacher, who was formerly Presiding Elder of the Iowa Conference, and now resides in Rock Rapids, Ia. Olin J. Kelley is now engaged in farming with his father. On January 29, 1879, he married Mary Elizabeth Walker, who was born in Brampton, Ont., August 17, 1857. They have four children-Herbert Lester, Irene Susan, Arthur O., and Mary Evelyn. Charles Hazen Kelley fitted for college at Tilton, graduated from the Boston University Law School, and is now a prominent attorney in Forest City, Ia. He married Florence Clark, of Rockford, Ill. Elmer D. Kelley, who is a graduate of the New Hampshire College, is now residing on the homestead in Franklin, giving his attention largely to the greenhouses. He has served on the Board of Assessors, and is now a member of the City Council. On July 13, 1886, he married Emma E. Ingalls, who was born in Walden, Vt., March 23, 1861, daughter of Perley and Lovina Ingalls. Her mother, now a widow, makes her home with them. Mr. and Mrs. Elmer D. Kelley have Florence W.; Marion A.; Louise; and an infant daughter, of whose name we have not been advised. Nellie B. Kelley married Ziba A. Norris, of the grocery firm of Norris Brothers, 1677 Washington Street, Boston. John Irving Kelley is now a prosperous farmer of Franklin.
Politically, Captain Kelley is a Republican, and for many years was active in public affairs. He has served in various town offices, and he represented the district in the legislature in 1864 and 1865. He is connected with the United Order of the Pilgrim Fathers, was one of the organizers of the grange, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He was formerly interested in military affairs, and at one time was in command of a well-drilled company.