Roger Gilmore, Esq., was one of the early settlers of the town and the first settler on road 30, near the center of the town. Most of the town meetings were held, previous to the erection of the first meeting-house, in 1775, at his home. When the town was organized, he was chosen the first tythingman, a very important office in those days. He was a delegate to the constitutional convention in 1791, and was the first justice of the peace appointed by the state, after the adoption of the constitution in 1784. When the first military company was organized, in 1775, he was chosen first lieutenant and afterwards captain. He died in November, 1807, at the age of sixty-nine years. His son Harvey married Mary, daughter of John and Sarah (Haywood) Byam. His son George F. married Annie R., daughter of Thomas and Lucy (Osgood) Gardner, of Rindge, who bore him four children. He resides upon the home farm, on road 29.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.