Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Rev. Elisha Andrews was born in Middletown, Conn., September 29, 1768, and married Wealthy, daughter of Thomas Lathrop, of Norwich, Conn. Mr. Andrews had no early education, except that afforded by the common schools, but became a fine scholar through his own exertions and without the aid of teachers, and was often sought by collegians for aid in the Greek and Hebrew languages. He was also a practical land surveyor. In 18×4 he came to Hinsdale, and preached in the “meeting house” built by the town, and which was afterwards converted into a woolen mill, and finally destroyed by fire. It was originally located upon the hill on Brattleboro street, and was removed to the site of the mills now occupied by Haile, Frost & Co. In 1815 he moved his family to Hinsdale, and located opposite the church, where he remained until his death, February 3, 1840. He was a pronounced Baptist, but preached to a congregation composed of all the different denominations in the town. He was the father of eight children, only two of whom are living, viz.: Ann L. (Mrs. H. B. Streeter), residing n Brattleboro street, upon the estate of her father, and Stephen Pearl, a distinguished scholar and linguist, author and lawyer, residing in New York city.