John Converse, a native of Leicester, Mass., came to Marlboro in 1780 and located about half a mile east of the village. Here he passed his time as a carpenter and joiner, wheelwright and farmer, until his death, about 1850. His son Nelson was born here and has been proprietor of the Converse House for the past twenty years. He is a justice of the peace, was colonel of the 6th N. H. Vols., has been deputy sheriff many years, represented the town in 1855-56, and has been selectman two or three years.