EDMUND WHEELER, son of Col. Nathaniel Wheeler, was born Aug. 25th, 1814. He was educated at Kimball Union Academy. In 1833 he commenced the harness business at Newport, with a brother; and in 1839 bought the establishment and began for himself. He carried on extensive and successful operations until 1866, when he sold out and retired from business. He took an active part in the movement to uphold the state militia prior to its abandonment before the rebellion, and was for two years a member of the staff of Gov. Williams. He was a member of the Legislature from Newport in 1851 and 1852, and in the latter year was chairman of the committee on Incorporations. He was also a member of several important special committees, and took an active part in the discussion of the leading measures before the house. In 1863 and 1864 he was candidate for County Treasurer. He was a Director in Sugar River Bank. In 1858, he erected Wheeler’s Block at Newport, the effects of which may be seen, in part, in the improved style of architecture in the village since that time. In 1851 he was married to Miss S. C. Rossiter, of Claremont, who died in 1856. He was married in 1863 to Miss Augusta L. Sawyer, daughter of Joseph Sawyer, Esq., of Newport.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.