Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The Indians of New York are those of the Six Nations, living upon reservations retained from the lands they originally occupied, and a few scattered Indians of various tribes.
The civilized (self-supporting) Indians of New York, counted in the general census, number 726 (383 males and 343 females), and are distributed as follows:
Chautauqua County, 24; Chemung County, 27; Essex County, 17; Jefferson County, 25; Kings County, 62; Lewis County; 33; Madison County, 84; Monroe County, 23; New York County, 52; Oneida County, 62; Onondaga County, 22; Queens County, 30; St. Lawrence County, 17; Saratoga County, 25; Suffolk County, 50; Warren County, 42; other counties (13 or less in each), 131.
This is aside from the 5,309 of the Six Nations who are discussed among Indians not taxed.
As in New England, there are state obligations still recognized toward these remnants of tribes.
- Gallery of Six Nation Images
A large collection of images from the manuscript, including maps. These images can also be found on various pages in context with the information on the page.
- The Six Nations of New York, by Thomas Donaldson
- Historical Outline of Six Nations, by Henry B. Carrington
- Reservations of the Six Nations in New York and Pennsylvania, 1723-1890
- Allegany Reservation Map and Occupants, 1890
- Cattaraugus Reservation Map and Occupants, 1890
- Onondaga Reservation Map and Occupants, Onondaga County, New York, 1890
- St. Regis Reservation Map and Occupants, 1890
- Tonawanda Reservation Map and Occupants, 1890
- Tuscarora Reservation Map and Occupants, 1890
- Wampum Belts
- Religion of the Six Nations Tribes
- Industry and Home Life on the Reservations
- Education, Schools and Language on the Six Nations Reservations
- Six Nations Health and Race Admixture
- Six Nations Names, Traditions, And Reminiscences
- Annuities of the Six Nations Reservations
- General Remarks About the Six Nations in 1890
- The Shinnecock, Poosepatuck and Montauk Indians in New York