Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The Kansa gentes as given by Dorsey (15th Rep. B. A. E., 230, 1897) are:
- Manyinka (earth lodge)
- Ta (deer)
- Panka (Ponca)
- Kanze (Kansa)
- Wasabe (black bear)
- Wanaghe (ghost)
- Kekin (carries a turtle on his hack)
- Minkin (carries the sun on his back)
- Upan (elk)
- Khuva (white eagle)
- Han (night)
- lbache (holds the firebrand to sacred pipes)
- Hangatanga (large Hanga)
- Chedunga (buffalo bull)
- Chizhuwashtage (Chizhu peacemaker)
- Lunikashinga (thunder being people)
These gentes constitute 7 phratries.