A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Igualali (Ig-wa′-la-li, ‘a hole’). A small rancheria of the Tarahumare, not far from Norogachic, Chihuahua, Mexico. Lumholtz, inf’n, 1894.
Ilamatech. A former Tepehuane pueblo in Durango, Mexico, and the seat of a mission.
Imuris. Given by early authorities as a Pima rancheria near the E. bank of Rio San Ignacio (or Magdalena), lat. 30° 50′, long. 110° 50′, in the present Sonora, Mexico. Orozco y Berra mentions the Himeris (who are evidently the inhabitants of this settlement) , with the Opata. If they belonged to the latter, Imures was doubtless the last Opata settlement toward the N., and the earlier writers did not, in this case, distinguish the Opata from the Pima. Imuris was visited by Father Kino as early as 1699, and the bell in its church bears the date 1680. It was afterward a visita of San Ignacio mission (Rudo Ensayo, ca. 1762, 153, 1863), with 80 inhabitants in 1730. It is now a civilized pueblo. Of its 637 inhabitants in 1900, 74 were Mayo and 32 Yaqui. (F. W. H.)
Ippo (Ip-po′, ‘mesa’). A Tarahumare rancheria in Chihuahua, Mexico. Lumholtz, inf’n, 1894.
Isoguichic. A Tarahumare settlement in Chihuahua, Mexico (Orozco y Berra, Geog., 323, 1864); possibly the same as Sisoquichi, located on some maps near the headwaters of Rio Conchos, lat. 27° 48′.
Ixtacan. A pueblo of the Cora and the seat of a mission; situated on the s. bank of the Rio San Pedro, about lat. 22°, Tepic, Mexico.