Chetco Indians (from Cheti, ‘close to the mouth of the stream’: own name.- J.O. Dorsey). a group of former Athapascan villages situated on each side of the mouth of and about 14 miles up Chetco river, Oregon. There were 9 villages, those at the mouth of the river containing 42 houses, which were destroyed by the whites in 1853, after which the Chetco were removed to Siletz Reservation, Tillamook County, Oregon. In 1854 they numbered 63 men, 96 women and 104 children; total 262. In 1877 only 63 resided on Siletz reservation. These villagers were closely allied to the Tolowa of California, from whom they differed but slightly in language and suxtom. The villages as recorded by Dorsey were Chettanne, Chettannene, Khuniliikhwut, Nakwutthume, Nukhwuchutun, Setthatun, Siskhaslitun, Tachukhaslitun and Thlcharghilitun.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.