Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The California Indian Mailing List has been setup to help the California Native American researchers find ways to connect with others researching the same Surname. We are not here to find your ancestor for you, only to provide assistance and suggestions on how and where to search for your ancestor.
Some of the people associated with this list are very knowledgeable on their Nation/Tribe, others have books and cd’s where they will do lookups at no charge, (please don’t abuse this privilege). Many others will just offer suggestions and ideas that have worked for them in the past.
How to Subscribe and Unsubscribe
All the information you need to subscribe and unsubscribe will be on the email sent to you from the list when you subscribed. One other word of caution if you have a signature line, please remove that.
- NA-CALIFORNIA-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org (Subscribe in the body of the message, you will receive every message posted to the list)
- NA-CALIFORNIA-Demail@example.com (Subscribe in the body of the message, you will receive all the messages at one time, in one email)
To Unsubscribe, just click one of the links below:
- NA-CALIFORNIA-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org (Un-Subscribe in the body of the message)
- NA-CALIFORNIA-Demail@example.com (Un-Subscribe in the body of the message)
To change from Mail Mode to Digest mode:
- NA-CALIFORNIA-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org (Click link, unsubscribe in the body of the message, send)
- NA-CALIFORNIA-Demail@example.com (Click link, subscribe in the body of the message, send)
To change from Digest mode to Mail Mode:
- NA-CALIFORNIA-Dfirstname.lastname@example.org (Click link unsubscribe in the body of the message, send)
- NA-CALIFORNIA-Lemail@example.com (Click link subscribe in the body of the message, send)
How to post a Message
To post to both NA-CALIFORNIA-L and NA-CALIFORNIA-D, messages should be sent to NA-CALIFORNIA-L@rootsweb.com. Messages sent there will appear both places.
Archives. You can search the archives for a specific message or browse them, going from one message to another. Some list archives are not available; if there is a link here to an archive but the link doesn’t work, it probably just means that no messages have been posted to that list yet.
Suggestions for Message
- Do not use all capitol letters, this is very hard to read: example THIS IS WHAT NOT TO DO!
- Put surnames only in capitol letters: example SMITH, John
- Include dates if known, example: 18 January 1803, not 18/01/03
- Include City, County and State if known, example: Sioux City, Woodbury, Iowa
Rules of the List
- No Flames – This will get you removed from the list, quick as a wink.
- Courtesy – Many of the people writing to this list have very recently discovered they may have a Native American connection, don’t put them down because you think they asked a stupid question. The only stupid question is the one not asked.
- Off Topic Discussion – Posts having noting to do with searching for Native American Ancestors, will be considered off topic. Weather in your location is a good example.
Who is on this List
Any one who wants to be here!!
I have, however, invited several people to join this list who are very knowledgeable on the subject of Native Americans. People who know where and how to find records for many Nations or Tribes, people who have records and are willing to searches for subscribers, (a privilege that must not be abused.) People who have written books on the subject of Native Americans. Mostly people who are willing to help you in your research, but not do the searching for you, that will be your job.
If you have questions?