A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Cahunghage. A former Iroquois village on the s. side of Oneida lake, N. Y.
Canadasaga (Gă-nă-dă-se′-ge, ‘at the new town’). A former Seneca town near the present Geneva, N. Y. On account of its size it was for a time considered one of the chief towns of the tribe. In 1700 it was situated 1 m. s. E. of Geneva, but in 1732, on account of the ravages of smallpox, the inhabitants removed 2 or 3 m. s. w., to the s. bank of Burrell s (Slate Rock) cr. At the breaking out of the French and Indian war this site was also abandoned, and the inhabitants moved to Canadasaga brook, or Castle brook, s. w. of Geneva. Here, in 1756, a stockade was built for their protection by Sir William Johnson. The town became known as New Castle, and was destroyed by Sullivan in 1779. (J. M. J. N. B. H.)
Canajoharie (Kă-nă-djo′ha-re, it, the kettle, is fixed on the end of it) . An important Mohawk village, known as Upper Mohawk Castle, formerly situated on the E. bank of Otsquago cr., nearly opposite Ft Plain, Montgomery co., N. Y. The community of this name occupied both banks of Mohawk r. for some distance above and below the village. It was also once known as Middle Mohawk Castle. (J. N. B. H.)
Canandaigua (Gă-nă-dă-ă′-gwänñ, a village was formerly there). An important Seneca town near the site of the present Canandaigua, N. Y., destroyed by Sullivan in 1779. There was another settlement not far distant, called New Canandaigua, which also was probably destroyed the same year. (J. N. B. H.)
Canastigaone. A former Mohawk village on the N. side of Mohawk r., just above Cohoes Falls, N. Y.
Caneadea (Gä-onhia-di-on, it (sky) impinges on it ). A former Seneca village on the site of Caneadea, Allegany co., N. Y. Being the most distant southerly from the lower Genesee r. towns, and protected by mountains, it escaped destruction by Sullivan in 1779, as he turned northward from Dayoitgao. Caneadea, which was a “castle” and for many years had a council lodge, was the point of departure of the Seneca on their war expeditions to the w. and s. w. (J. N. B. H.)
Canienga (at the place of the flint). A former Mohawk castle situated at the distance of a bow-shot from the N. side of Mohawk r., N. Y. The Mohawk name for themselves is derived from this place. In 1677 it had a double palisade with 4 ports inclosing 24 lodges, (J. N. B. N.)
Carantouan (it is a large tree). One of the chief palisaded towns of the Conestoga, which in 1615 was situated 3 short days journey from the fort of the Iroquois attacked by Champlain in that year. It was probably on the site of the present Waverly, N. Y., and the palisade attacked was perhaps near the present Liverpool, on the E. side of Onondaga lake. (J.N. B.H.)
Cashong. A small Seneca village situated in 1779 about 7 m. s. of the present site of Geneva, N. Y. Clark in Sullivan (1779), Ind. Exped., 130, note, 1887.
Catherine’s Town. A former Seneca village situated about the site of the present Catherine, N. Y., or, according to Conover, at Havana Glen. It took its name from Catherine Montour, a Canadian woman who was taken by the Iroquois and afterward became the chief matron in her clan. It was destroyed by Sullivan in 1779. (J. N. B . H.)
Catskill. A division of the Munsee formerly living on Catskill cr., w. of the Hudson, in Greene co., N. Y. They were one of the Esopus tribes, and were known to the French as Mahingans (or Loups) of Taracton, but this name may have included other bands in that region. The name Catskill is Dutch, and was first applied to the stream as descriptive of the totem of the band, which was really the wolf.
Cattaraugus A Seneca settlement on a branch of Cattaraugus cr. , Cattaraugus co., N. Y. In 1903 there were 1,272 Seneca and 182 Cayuga and Onondaga on the reserve, which contains 21,680 acres, 14,800 of which are under cultivation.
Caughnawaga. The ancient capital of the Mohawk tribe, situated in 1667 on Mohawk r., near the present site of Auriesville, N. Y. The Jesuits maintained there for a time the mission of St Pierre. The town was destroyed by the French in 1693.
Chemung. An Iroquois village, probably of the Seneca, formerly on or near the site of the present Chemung, N. Y. It was destroyed by Sullivan in 1779. An older village of the name stood about 3 in. farther down Chemung r. (J. M. )
Chenango (Seneca: Ochenango, large bull thistles. Hewitt). A former village on the river of the same name, about Binghamton, Broome co., N. Y. It was settled in 1748 by the Nanticoke from Maryland, under Iroquois protection. Soon thereafter they were joined by a part of the Shawnee, together with remnants of the Mahican and Wappinger tribes. The whole body moved w. about the beginning of the French and Indian war in 1754, and were mostly incorporated with the Delawares. (J. M.)
Chenughivata An Onondaga village in New York in 1774. Johnstown conf. (1774) in N. Y. Doc. Col. Hist., viii, 506, 1857.
Chibaouinani A former Missisauga village, also known as La Cloche, on Cloche id., in L. Huron, N. of Manitoulin id.
Chinoshahgeh (at the bower [?]). A Seneca village near Victor, N. Y., on or near the site of the earlier settlement called Kanagaroo, that was broken up by the Denonville expedition. Shea in Charlevoix, New Fr., in, 289, note, 1864.
Chonodote (perhaps tyohnodote, ‘where a spring issues’. Hewitt). A former Cayuga settlement located on Machin’s map of Sullivan’s expedition (Conover, MS., B. A. E.) on the E. side of Cayuga lake, a few miles s. of the present Cayuga, N. Y. It was probably destroyed by Sullivan in 1779.
Chuchtononeda. A Mohawk division formerly occupying the s. side of Mohawk r., N. Y., from Schenectady almost to Schoharie cr. (Macauley, N. Y., 11, 295, 1829). Their principal village probably bore the same name.
Chugnut. A small tribe living, about 1755, under Iroquois protection in a village of the same name on the s. side of Susquehanna r., opposite Binghamton, Broome co., N. Y. In 1758 they were on the Susquehanna with the Nanticoke, Conoy, and Tutelo. Choconut cr. takes its name from the tribe. Conoy, Mahican, Nanticoke, Shawnee, and probably Munsee bands also resided there, and the name may have been a local, not a tribal, designation. (J. M.)
Churamuk. A former considerable village on the E. side of Susquehanna r., 18 in. above Oswego, N. Y. ; destroyed by Sullivan in 1779. Livermore (1779) in N. H. Hist. Soc. Coll., vi, 322, 1850.
Condawhaw. A Seneca settlement, in 1779, on the site of the present North Hector, N. Y. Doc. of 1779 quoted by Conover, Kanadesaga and Geneva MS., B. A. E.
Corchaug. A tribe or band formerly occupying Riverhead and Southold town ships on Long id., N. Y., N. of Peconic bay, and extending w. to Wading r. Cutchogue, Mattituck, Ashamomuck, and Aquebogue were probably sites of their villages. The Yannococ Indians, N. of Peconic r., must have been identical with the Corchaug tribe or a part of it. (J. M.)
Coreorgonel. The chief Tutelo town in New York, settled in 1753; situated in 1779 on the w. side of Cayuga lake inlet and on the border of the great swamp, 3 m. from the s. end of Cayuga lake. When destroyed by Dearborn in 1779 it contained 25 “elegantly built” houses. Sir Wm. Johnson, in a conference with the Six Nations in July, 1753, said to the Cayuga: “It is agreeable news that you are about to strengthen your Castle by taking in the Tedarighroones [Tutelo], and shall give a pass to those of that Nation here among you that they and the rest of them may come and join your Castle unmolested” (N. Y. Doc. Col. Hist., vi, 811, 1855). Three of these Tutelo were present at this meeting “to partake in the name of their Nation of the intended present.” (J. N. B. H.)
Cotsjewaminck. A former village on Long Island, N. Y., probably near the w. end. Doc. of 1645 in N. Y. Doc. Col. Hist., xiv, 60, 1883.
Cutchogue. The present Cutchogue in Suffolk co., Long id., N. Y., occupies the site of a former Indian village, probably of the same name, which was in the Corchaug territory. Thompson, Long Island, i, 392, 1843.