A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Calany. A former Timuquanan tribe or settlement of the Utina confederacy in middle or x. Florida. Laudonnière ( 1564 ) in French, Hist. Coll. La., n. s., 243, 1869.
Calaobe. A Calusa village on the s. w. coast of Florida, about 1570. Fontaneda Mem. (ca. 1575), Smith trans., 19, 1854.
Calusahatchee. A former Seminole town on Calusahatchee r., s. w. Fla.
Canaake. Mentioned as the name of an ancient Florida tribe, of which a remnant still existed in 1821. The general context of the reference indicates that the form is a bad misprint for Calusa, q. v.
Capasi. A former village on the N. frontier of Florida and probably belonging to the Apalachee, visited by De Soto in 1539. Garcilasso de la Vega, Fla., 74, 1723.
Capola. A former Seminole village E. of St Marks r., in Jefferson co., Fla. Bartram, Travels, 223, 1791.
Capoutoucha. Marked on De l’Isle s map of 1707 as an Indian settlement on St Johns r., Fla.
Casitoa. A Calusa village on the s. w. coast of Florida, about 1570. Fontaneda Memoir (ca. 1575), Smith trans., 19,1854.
Casti. A former Timuquanan settlement on the w. bank of St Johns r., Fla., not far from the mouth. Laudonnière (1564) in French, Hist. Coll. La, n. s., 306, 1869.
Catfish Lake. A Seminole settlement, with 28 inhabitants in 1880, on a small lake in Polk co., Fla., nearly midway between L. Pierce and L. Rosalie, toward the headwaters of Kissimmee r. MacCauley in 5th Rep. B. A. E., 478. 1887.
Cayovea. A Calusa village on the s. w. coast of Florida, about 1570. Fontaneda Memoir (ca. 1575), Smith trans., 19, 1854.
Chawakli. An ancient Lower Creek town on Apalachicola r., 12 m. below Ocheese Bluff, probably in Calhoun co., Fla. Its people were merged with the Eufaula.
Chefixico’s Old Town. A Seminole settlement formerly on the s. side of Old Tallahassee lake, 5 m. E. of Tallahassee, Fla. Roberts, Florida, 1763.
Chetuckota. A former Seminole village on the w. bank of Pease cr., below Pease lake, w. central Fla. H. R. Doc. 78, 25th Cong., 2d sess., map, 768-769, 1838.
Chicuchatti (probably Creek chúka chati, ‘red houses’, referring to the custom of daubing the houses with red clay). A former Seminole town N. of Tampa bay, in the so-called Chocochatee savanna, Hernando co., Fla. According to Brinton it was one of the 7 bands into which the Seminole became divided after their separation from the Creeks.
Chilili. A former tribe or village of the Utina confederacy in N. Florida. On the De Bry map it is located E. of St Johns r.
Chohalaboohhulka. A former Seminole town on the w. side of Suwanee r., above its junction with the Alapaha, in Hamilton co., Fla. H. R. Ex. Doc. 74 (1823), 19th Cong., 27, 1826.
Chokoukla. A former Seminole town on the w. side of Apalachicola r., 4 m. below the forks, in Florida. Mulatto King was chief in 1823. H. R. Ex. Doc. 74, 19th Cong., 27, 1826.
Cholupaha. A Timuquanan town in N. Florida, visited by De Soto s troops in Aug., 1539, before reaching Aquacalecuen. They spoke of it as a villa farta, a town of plenty, because they found an abundance of Indian corn there. Gentl. of Elvas (1557) in French, Hist. Coll. La., u, 131, 1850.
Coe Hadjos Town. A former settlement of negro slaves affiliated with or belonging to the Seminole, w. of Oclawaha r., in Marion co., Fla. Perhaps identical with Oclawaha town (q. v.).
Cohowofooche. A former Seminole town, of which Neamathla was chief, situated 23 in. N. w. of St Marks, Wakulla co., Fla. H. R. Ex. Doc. 74 (1823), 19th Cong., 27, 1826.
Comachica. A Calusa village on the s. w. coast of Florida, about 1570. Fontaneda Memoir (ca. 1575), Smith transl., 19, 1854.
Conchartimicco’s Town. A former town on Apalachicola r. , Fla. , evidently named from a chief called Conchart, or Concharti, and probably belonging to the Lower Creeks.
Cuchiyaga (place where there has been suffering). A former Calusa village on one of the keys on the s. w. coast of Florida, about 1570.
Cuscowilla. The principal Seminole town on Cuscowilla lake, Alachua co., Fla. It was established by Creeks from Oconee, Ga. , who first settled at Alachua Old Town but abandoned it on account of its un-healthfulness. Bartram (Travels, 1791) found 30 houses there in 1775.
Cutespa. A Calusa village on the s. w. coast of Florida, about 1570. Fontaneda Memoir (ca. 1575), Smith trans., 19, 1854.
This site includes some historical materials that may imply negative stereotypes reflecting the culture or language of a particular period or place. These items are presented as part of the historical record and should not be interpreted to mean that the WebMasters in any way endorse the stereotypes implied .
Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, Frederick Webb Hodge, 1906