Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The “Life and Times of Red Jacket” by Colonel William L. Stone, has been before the public for many years. The industry and ability of the author have made it a work of great value, and his extensive researches have left but little room for anything new to be said, by one coming after him. Yet the fact need not be concealed that many, who were intimately acquainted with Red Jacket, were disappointed when they came to read the biography of Red Jacket. If it had been prepared under the direct influence and superintendence of Thayendanegea, or Brant, it could not have reflected more truly the animus of that distinguished character. Red Jacket in his day was the subject, at different times of much angry feeling, and jealousy. The author has not taken pains to embalm it, in these memorials of the great orator of the Senecas. Much that was the subject of criticism during his life, admits of a more charitable construction, and the grave should become the receptacle of all human resentments.
The author acknowledges his indebtedness to the labors of Col. Stone, and by an honorable arrangement, liberty was obtained for the use made of them, in the following pages. Acknowledgments are due also to others, whose names will appear in the course of this work.
Tracy, Cal., April 12th, 1885
Biography of Red Jacket
- Red Jacket or SA-GO-YE-WAT-HA
- Early History of the Six Nations
- How Red Jacket Got His Name
- Early Struggles of Red Jacket
- Expedition under General Harmar
- Expedition to the Indian country under General St. Clair
- Indian Appropriation
- Canandaigua at an Early Day
- Valley of the Genesee
- Interview between Farmer’s Brother and Thomas Morris
- Council at Canawangus
- Cornplanter in Disrepute
- Change in Red Jacket’s Views
- Tecumseh and Indian Confederation
- Taking of Fort Erie
- United States Claims to Indian Land
- Union of the Western Indians
- Pre-emptive right to the Indian reservations, sold to the Ogden Company
- Personal characteristics
- Witchcraft–Case of Tom. Jemmy
- Views at the Close of Life