Hugh Henry was born January, 1848, at Nacogdoches County, Texas, third son of W. D. Henry, a Georgian, and Levisa Hutton, a half-breed Creek. After the marriage of his parents they moved to Texas, in 1832, his mother dying in 1852. After the death of his mother Hugh remained in Eastern Texas with his grandmother about eleven years. When quite young he became a cowboy, attaching himself to Hart Bros.’ cow camp until the breaking out of the war, when he joined the Confederate service under General Terry, remaining in the service eight months. After this Hugh Henry became a frontiersman in earnest, driving stock between San Antonio, Tex., and St. Louis, Mo., which was a dangerous experiment in those days, yet he continued it for three successive summers, when he went upon the buffalo range, hunting these animals for their hides for a term of one year. The buffalo becoming scarce, Mr. Henry came back to the nation and allied himself with the Grayson Cattle Company, working for them for thirteen years, ending May 15, 1891. He now owns about 300 head of cattle, 450 acres of improved farm (valley prairie) land, 21 head of ponies, 100 head of hogs, and 4,000 bushels of corn (made this season). He has a good home, containing comfortable house, orchard and garden.
He was married to Miss Anne Dickerson, of Texas, in 1871, and had three children: James, aged eighteen years; Levisa, aged seventeen years, and Luella, aged nine years. His wife died in August, 1883, and two years later he married Mittie Exon, a white woman, who came to this country from Missouri, by whom he had three children: Patrick, aged over five years; Mack, aged three years, and Annie May, aged six or eight months. Mr. Henry is about six feet in height, of robust build, and weighs 172 pounds, showing little of the aborigine in his appearance. Mr. Henry is one of the most experienced cowhands in his country.