Biography of D. H. Flournoy
The subject of this sketch was born March 1, 1848, in Natchitoches, Texas, and is son of Samuel Flournoy, originally from near Lexington, Kentucky, and at one time owner of a large plantation and a number of slaves. Samuel Flournoy organized a company in 1846 and went with Samuel Houston to the Mexican war. The subject of our sketch, D. H. Flournoy, was educated at a private school until the age of sixteen, when he joined the Confederacy, serving under Colonel Crump until the close of the war. On his return home he worked in the cattle business until 1871, when he married Miss Anna Wilson, daughter of Captain John Wilson, of Wood County, Texas. After this Mr. Flournoy engaged in farming in Wood County until 1884, and then returned to the Indian Territory, locating on Grand River, and there remained for five years farming. In 1885 he removed to Tahlequah, the capital, and engaged in the hotel business, which he continued until his removal to Chelsea, in January 1891, where he has followed the same business until the present. By his marriage Mr. Flournoy has six children, five of whom are living and are named respectively: Ellen M., born August 9, 1872; Lella J., born April 15, 1874; Roligh D., born July 15, 1876; Walter G., born February 2, 1882; and Clara May, born September 2, 1884. Mrs. Flournoy is a cousin of the late Chief Mayes. She is a lady of accomplishments and well educated, possessing many good social qualities, which endear her to all who have the pleasure of her acquaintance. She is connected with some of the leading families of the nation, the Adairs, Thompsons, Fields, etc. Mr. and Mrs. Flournoy are worth about $3,000 in real estate and other property, some of which is located in Texas.