B – Canadian Indian Villages, Towns and Settlements
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
choose a state:
A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of American Indians of North America.
- Beauport. A village established in 1650 in Quebec County, Canada, by fugitive Huron, who removed in the next year to the island of Orleans. Shea, Cath. Miss., 196, 1855.
- Bécancour. A village on St Lawrence River, in Quebec province, settled by Abnaki who removed from Maine in 1713 when that state was ceded to England by the treaty of Utrecht. In 1736 they were estimated at about 300; in 1858 they numbered 172, with French admixture, and in 1884 they were reduced to 39, but in 1902 numbered 51. They are members of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Beldom. A Missisauga village in Ontario in 1855. Jones, Ojebway Inds., 229, 1861.
- Birch River. A local name applied to the Maskegon (Swampy Cree) Reservation, near lower Saskatchewan River, Saskatchewan, Canada, and to the Indians gathered on it. Can. Ind. Aff., passim.
- Boat Harbor. A Micmac village near Pictou, Nova Scotia, Can. Ind. Aff. Rep. 1880, 46, 1881.
- Bonne Esperance. A Montagnais settlement on the islands and mainland at the mouth of Esquimaux River, on the south coast of Labrador. Some Nascapee are probably there also. Stearns, Labrador, 264, 293, 1884.
- Boothroyd. A body of Ntlakyapamuk Indians of Salishan stock on Fraser r., Brit. Col. The name seems to have been employed to include the towns of Spaim, Kimus, Tzaumuk, Suk, and Nkattsim. Pop. 159 in 1902 (Can. Ind. Aff. for 1902, 238).
- Burrard Inlet No. 3 Reserve. The name given by the Canadian Department of Indian Affairs to one of 6 divisions of the Squawmish, q. v.; pop. 30 in 1902.
- Burrard Saw Mills Indians. The local name for a body of Squawmish of Fraser River agency, Brit. Col.; noted only in 1884, when their number was given as 232. Can. Ind. Aff., 187, 1884.