Dr. William P. Glennon, specializing in surgery in St. Louis, was born in County Meath, Ireland, June 24, 1880, a son of Mathew and Catherine (Rafferty) Glennon, and a brother of Archbishop Glennon, mentioned elsewhere in this work.
Dr. Glennon, after obtaining a public school education in Dublin, continued his studies in the Dublin University as a medical student and won his M. D. degree upon graduation with the class of 1906. He then resolved to come to America, thinking to find a more favorable professional field here, and made his way at once to St. Louis, where he entered St. Anthony Hospital as an interne, there serving in 1906-07, or for a period of two years. At the end of that time he entered upon private practice and so continued until 1918, when he enlisted in the American Medical Corps and was assigned to Evacuation Hospital, No. 31. He was commissioned a captain and was on active duty until August, 1919, when he received his discharge. He has always been a close and thorough student of his profession, utilizing every means to promote his knowledge and advance his skill. In 1908 and 1912 and again in 1914 he traveled abroad, visiting leading European clinics for the study of surgery. He is now a member of the surgical staff of St. John’s Hospital and a member of the faculty of St. Louis University as assistant professor of surgery. He has membership in the St. Louis Medical, Missouri State and American Medical Associations. He belongs also to the St. Louis Surgical Club and the American Surgical Clinics.
Dr. Glennon is of the Catholic faith, being a communicant of the Cathedral and he belongs to the Knights of Columbus. In politics he maintains an independent course. He possesses a social nature and is a popular member of the University and Bellerive Clubs.