The subject of this sketch was born in Surry (now Yadkin) county, North Carolina, December 21, 1817. He lived with his father, who was a farmer in moderate circumstances, until nineteen years of age, and than left the farm to engage at school-teaching, and thereby secured the means to complete his education.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
In June, 1839, Mr. Williams immigrated to Missouri and located in Ray county, where he taught school until 1842 and then removed to what is now Harrison county. After living there one year our subject came to Daviess county, and has resided here ever since.
On the 31st day of May, 1844, Robert C. Williams was married to Eleanor, daughter of John Gillilan. The issue of this union was seven children, two sons who died in infancy, and five daughters who are married and prosperous. After his marriage Mr. Williams followed the occupation of farming and stock-raising with good success until June, 1872, when he retired from active business upon the farm and located in Jamesport, where he continues to live handsomely upon the rents of his lands and upon the proceeds of his business as capitalist and broker.
Our subject stands in the first rank with the most highly respected and honorable citizens of the county, and has been honored by his fellow citizens with various offices of trust and responsibility. He was elected justice of the peace in 1844, and filled that office for a period of twenty years. In 1860 he was elected to represent the county in the General Assembly of the State, and always, both in public and private life, honesty, integrity and justness have characterized his actions. He occupied a seat on the bench as justice of the County Court, in 1874, and helped to so manage the finances of the county as to raise the value of warrants from a discount of fifty per cent to par, without increasing the rate of taxation in the feast.
Mr. Williams began life as a poor boy, but by industry, economy and good management has secured a competency for his old age. Although not a member of any church, he has donated more to the Methodist Episcopal Church South at Jamesport, than any other man. He is also an ardent supporter of all educational institutions, and was active in securing the excellent school building at Jamesport.
The record of the life of Robert C. Williams is such that his word is as good as his bond, and a simple statement from him would be credited against the affidavit of those less trustworthy.