Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Hon. Frank Landwehr, judge of circuit court at St. Louis, was elected to this position in 1918 and since taking his place upon the bench has displayed the most scrupulous care and exact justice in the performance of his judicial duties. St. Louis claims him as a native son, his birth having here occurred February 8, 1884.
His father, Frank Landwehr, came to America when a lad of fifteen years, during the late ’40s, making his way direct to St. Louis, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1893, when he was fifty-two years of age. He devoted his attention to merchandising and was very successful in his business affairs. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Caroline Suever, also came to America when a young maiden of thirteen years. She, too, made her way to St. Louis and in this city was married. Nine children were born of this union, three sons and six daughters, Judge Landwehr being the, eighth in order of birth. The mother passed away January 16, 1918, at the age of seventy-five years, living to see her son reach a prominent position as a representative of the bar but not to see him take his place upon the bench.
Judge Landwehr pursued his early education in the grade and high schools of St. Louis. He then entered upon the study of law, anxious to become a member of, the bar and on the 9th of June, 1966, was admitted to practice. He devoted his attention to the active work of the profession for twelve years and in 1918 was elected a judge of the circuit court of St. Louis on the republican ticket and has since occupied a place on the bench, enjoying an enviable reputation for the scrupulous care with which he acquaints himself with every point in a case and the exact justice which he metes out through his carefully prepared opinion. He is a member of the St. Louis, Missouri State and American Bar Associations.
In politics Judge Landwehr is a republican and has been very active, earnest and effective supporter of the party, his efforts in its behalf being far-reaching and resultant. He belongs to Westgate Lodge, No. 445, A. F. & A. M., and was master thereof in 1913. He is a member of Missouri Consistory, No. 1, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Ancient & Accepted Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Alhambra Grotto, St. Louis Lodge, No. 9, B. P. O. Elks. He is also a member of the Riverview and Century Boat Clubs. During the war he served on all the drives which were put forth not only to furnish financial aid to the country but to further the interests of the Red Cross and other organizations and he was likewise connected with the registration board. He has been characterized by a prominent citizen of St. Louis as “clean-cut, intelligent and honorable, who has always read extensively law, literature and the sciences.” In this wide general knowledge is found one of the elements of his success, enabling him to understand human nature and the springs of human conduct and he has always been found an able minister in the temple of justice.