Was born in Tazewell county, Virginia, November 25, 1838. He lived with his parents, William P. and Margaret H. Wynn, in his native county until his twentieth year, when he accompanied them to Missouri. They arrived in the spring of 1858 and settled on a tract of wild land in Grand River township, two miles northeast of where the town of Jameson now stands, where the subject of this sketch still lives, and his mother, with him, his father having died in 1875. His father being afflicted with the palsy, young Wynn began to work for himself when about nine years old, working in a brick yard at twenty-five cents per day until he saved $4.50, with which sum he bought a calf, and this, with another which his grandfather had given him, he sold, the two bringing him a total cash capital of $45. When about fourteen years old he came to Missouri on a visit, and while here at-tended school one session at the Grand River College, at Edinburg, Grundy county. His father was an invalid when they came to Missouri, so upon young Wynn fell most of the care and toil of the farm, and as his inclination led him toward dealing in and raising stock, as was illustrated in his first business transaction, related above, he turned his attention more especially to that department of farm industry. The farm consists of 160 acres of excellent land, well stocked with the improved breeds of fine cattle, and thoroughbred horses. In 1875 he purchased the thoroughbred horse, Sundown, from Kentucky, at a cost of $1,000, and in 1880 added to his stock farm the celebrated Norman horse, General Jute, imported from France at a cost of $1,600. In 1877 he introduced upon his farm five jacks and two jennets from the famous “blue grass region” of Kentucky. Among a car-load of fine Short-Horn cattle which he purchased, was the thoroughbred “Rose of Sharon” bull, Abe Renick.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
In 1879, in connection with C. R. Nance, of Civil Bend, he imported from Canada a flock of 150 fine Cotswold and Liecester sheep. He is, withal one of the largest and most successful stock-raisers in the county, and his enterprise has done much to improve the stock of the county, and encourage the raising of thoroughbreds to which the climate and grasses of Daviess is so well adapted.
Mr. Wynn was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Davis, of this county, on the 13th of November, 1862. By this union five children were born to them; namely, Charles D., Mary M., Anna Belle, Florence May, and Aldridge, all living at home.